Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SWIMMING POOL AND HOUSE HEATED BY SAME BOILER - Ed Harrison

Options
Bruce Good
Bruce Good Member Posts: 4
MY CUSTOMER NEEDS A NEW BOILER,THE EXISTING BOILER IS 188,000 BTU, THE HOUSE ONLY NEEDS 85,000, BUT IT ALSO HEATS A 20,000 GALLON SWIMMING POOL THRU A HEAT EXCHANGER (NO DOCUMENTATION, LOOKS FABRICATED). I THOUGHT ABOUT A MODULATING BOILER BUT POWER VENTING ISN'T A GOOD OPTION. I'VE ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT PRIORATIZING THE HOUSE AND USING A SMALLER BOILER. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
THANKS MUCH.
ED.

Comments

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Ed.............

you said,"I THOUGHT ABOUT A MODULATING BOILER BUT POWER VENTING ISN'T A GOOD OPTION."

If you are meaning a modulating burner (gas) a "power vent" is not definetly needed.There are many manufacturers that make gas fired boilers that have two stage burners.That is an option.Another option wold be to use 2 boilers/modular.Sounds like a great idea provided the mechanical area can afford the space.

Good luck,

cheese
  • Bruce Good
    Bruce Good Member Posts: 4
    Options

THE ONLY MODULATING BOILER THAT I KNOW OF IS THE MUNCHKIN, AND I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE DIRECT VENT. THE ONLY TWO STAGE BOILERS THAT I FOUND ARE WAY LARGER THAN 180,000 BTU. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY SMALLER? THANKS, ED.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I believe

Either Triangle Tube or Heat Transfer Products makes a heat exchanger for pool heating that works really well. We used them on maybe 20 existing boilers. We prioritized the pool heater , but it usually isnt a problem if its used only in spring and fall, and is only energized when the pool filter is running.

The only real concern we had was with semi - inground pools and hooking it up to a boiler in the basement. If the line breaks in the baement , theres a potential flood that woudnt stop till the siphon level was reached in the pool.
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Two that I know of Ed

One is the Buderus G334X and two is the Viessmann Atola-RN.My thought is two boilers would be real trick for the job.

cheese
  • Bigheadtodd
    Bigheadtodd Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Go solar

Ed, you ought to heat that pool with some solar panels.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Powervent two stage boiler

The Hydrotherm HI comes in sizes down to 85,000 input on high fire. Basic Cast iron horizontal section boiler with blower.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Is the pool indoors

100,000 BTUs for pool heater isn't very much for that size pool. If in fact the house load is 85,000, that leaves 100 K for the pool? A modulating boiler with a pool hx sure would handle the btu sizing nicely. One of the new Viessmann Vitodens modulates between 80,000 and 230,00. If your load calcs are correct this size would be a good match.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.