Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex and hot glue gun - Bob Barton

Options
Bob Barton
Bob Barton Member Posts: 1
Can a hot glue gun, using general purpose glue sticks, be used to attach pex tubing to an existing concrete slab? Do you expect that there would be any damage to the tubing? The temerature of the glue at the time of contact is about 200-250 degrees.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Makes me nervous!

some of the tubing brands have the O2 barrier applied to the outside of the tube. I'm not sure how compatiable the hot glue would be with the barrier, or tube. I'd get the application okayed by the tube manufacture. I'm not sure how "kick proof" a glue down would be. Nothing worse than floating tube!
    Here are a couple other products I have used. The single clip is a Sioux Chief product. I replaced the factory nail with a concrete nail, they work best with a single blow from a single jack (heavy hammer) The other is a Winkler product, available from most suppliers. This one allows several sizes od tube and nice OC spacing. Shoot or glue the strips and snap the tube in.
    There are pneumatic concrete nail guns available these days, check with local tool rentals. They are quite a bit cheaper, per shot, than the powder activated guns.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options

Chances of the hot glue holding the polyethelene tubing to the concrete are slim unless you use a big glob. Try one hole condit straps and tapcons or drive rivets
  • Dana Zaichkin
    Dana Zaichkin Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Pex & sealing foam

Along this line, have you experienced any problems with expanding sealant foam and deterioration of Pex? I'm a bit nervous putting these chemicals in contact with more vulneraple products lide Pex and ABS. If you prefer not to use foam - what do you recommend?

Best Regards
    Dana
  • Dana Zaichkin
    Dana Zaichkin Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Pex & sealing foam

Along this line, have you experienced any problems with expanding sealant foam and deterioration of Pex? I'm a bit nervous putting these chemicals in contact with more vulnerable products like Pex and ABS. If you prefer not to use foam - what do you recommend?

Best Regards
    Dana
  • Unknown
    Options
    hot glue gun and pex

In a word... NO.

The manufacture won;t stand by it AND you will find that it will not hold well.

wheels
This discussion has been closed.