Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Calling HR

Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
I have sold a job that will include a HS Tarm Solo 30 with a 600 gallon storage tank.
Radiant heat in slab with VS injection.
Domestic HW production as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to installing this one!!!

Mark Hunt

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106

I have only worked with one so far. It hasn't been fired up yet, so I don't have a good answer yet. The piping layout from the Tarm dealer is a bit unusual, to say the least. They have a number of different versions out there. The most recent shows a thermostatic mix valve to protect the boiler from cold return temperatures. A good idea for protection, but limits much heat output until the boiler reaches that preset temp. 130 I believe.

A number of tricky piping concepts involved. Trying to provide a gravity circ loop for power outages, trying to offer buffer for a boiler firing with little or no load, incorporate a boiler return protection, and not overheat certain gravity zones, all at the same time is a challange, to say the least.

I bounced ideas off Ron Huber, Ted Bean, ME and Siggy. This winter will tell how my version of the piping works. A lot has to do with the operators experience, I feel. Once you get used to firing the unit based on the buildings load, and being careful not to overfire on mild days with an up to temperature buffer, there is the key in my opinion. Provide plenty of relief valve capacity!

I felt, for the price, their buffer tank piping was poor. Sloppy fab and soldering and covered with green flux slime. Should have at least been power washed or the flux wiped after soldering. Looked like someone was in a hurry when they built the copper coil HX :)

The Tarm looks like a very quality piece, I'm anxious to see it work. Tarm sells directly to the homeowner, which makes for a challange on the boiler piping that needs to be done via drawings without Tarm knowing the buyers/ installers boiler piping comfort level. Seems like a liability risk to me. I'd make sure your customer understands the power a hot, or runaway boiler can produce.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.