Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulation under commercial slab - HR

Options
George Peteya
George Peteya Member Posts: 34
HR - maybe Dow 100 High Load from the perimeter in, say, 4 feet, but not in the doorways. Dow Chemical used to be helpful with things like this ... try 1(800)258-CHEM. Ask for a sample ... you'll get a piece 1 sq ft, 2" thick, with specifications on the label.

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options

I am looking at a trash company maintenance building. 10,000 square feet with heavy truck useage. What kind of weight per square foot on a 50-60,000 pound ten wheeler. I,d be nervous about weight issue of 1' foamboard or any of the new roll foam or bubble stuff. I do have 2" perimeter vertical foamboard in the design. Skip the underslab insulation??

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    I seem to remember

someone did a fire station with radiant (Heatboy or Joel??) a while back and the slab was thicker than normal. MAybe they'll see this and post what they did.

A/C season is here in the south. I'm almost to tired to go upstairs to go to bed!

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Colin
    Colin Member Posts: 50
    Options
    slab loading

The owners of this farm shop opted to leave the insulation out of the center as they planed to pull loaded semi's(60-80,000 #'s)in during the winter months so they would be road ready in the AM.We used 2" foam,champhered on the top edge and extending 12-16" down, and insul-tarp 6'in around the perimeter. We left the foam out at the overhead door-ways to get some thermal creep to keep the overhead and Hydro-swing doors from freezing down. The system seemed to work fine last winter, which was the first full season of use. The fuel bill was a little higher than I would have liked to see ($400.00/ Mo./12,000 Sq. Ft.heated) but with no insulation in 2/3 of the floor what could we expect.

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Garage

doors let out a lot of heat. I wouldn't use any insulation under the slab. Insulate the foundation , and let the slab and earth underneath be a a nice heat storage bank. Quick recovery when the doors come down.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    insulation in comm. building

Hotrod: In my shop we used 2" 5# polystyrene and covered it with 5" of 4000psi concrete. We have pulled loaded semis with 48,000# of gypsum concrete plus truck weight onto this floor to unload. It hasn't moved yet. What is probably worse is the 4000# pallet of gyp on two little forklift tires. They told me the concrete spreads the load. We also stack 3 pallets high. that is 12,000# on a 4'x4' piece of concrete. Or 48,000# on a 12'x12' area. Don't know if this helps? What disturbs me is the fact that with 2" of poly under and up the edge I still melt snow around the perimeter of the building. That in my mind equals heat loss!
This discussion has been closed.