Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tolerance hr

hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
My son Max age 16 mows the college professors lawn next door. Dr. Bradshaw, when asked, noticed over his long career the lack of tolerance is the biggest obstacle these days in the classroom. Religous, sexual, political, even road rage to often turns turn into heated and sometimes deadly confontations.

On the Letterman show last night Tom Brokaw commented that the younger generations everywhere he has recently traveled overseas has less and less tolerance. We all hoped and prayed the younger generation would find a peaceful way to resolve the differences, especially in the Middle East.

Even in our small group here on the wall I see the lack of tolerance leading to heated discussion. Seems like the holy wars at another popular HVAC discussion list really put a damper on participation. Really don't want to see that happen here.

As Brokaw travels the US of A the most frequent question he recieves is "When are things going to get back to normal here?" His responce was along the lines of get used to what you see, normal has taken on a different meaning these days.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    It comes from (I think) the supposed solution

In college sociology class (taken because it was required) a group of topics were given. Each student picked the "pro" or "con" side for a 10-minute speech to the class.

I chose a difficult one--the "con" to pluralism {a state or condition of society in which members of diverse ethnic, racial, religious, or social groups maintain an autonomous participation in and development of their traditional culture or special interest within the confines of a common civilization}.

My main contention was that pluralism actually leads to intolerance. Since it seems human nature to believe that ones' personal or group beliefs and practices are "better," the very definition of the term is pure theory. In practice, the lack of a common thread in the belief system of a large, diverse group leads to its destruction.

I went further to state that while individualism is generally desirable, it should not be confused with pluralism. ...that pluralism disguised as "multi-culturalism" or such can actually cause distrust, fear and even hatred. ...that while it's fine to identify with a group and its beliefs, you must understand that not everyone holds these beliefs and you should not complain too loudly if you have to give occasional "lip service" to other ideas.

To a group trying not only to "find themselves" but also where they "belong" in life, you can imagine that this did not go over well.

Mechanics is a lot like language--there are many ways to do (say) nearly the same thing--there are even many different schools (languages). No one school (language) is best for every situation. No one method (word) is best for every climate, budget, or even desire.

Remember that the high road and the low road both lead to the same place.
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    with to much tolerance

comes the complete distruction of right and wrong. I will always listen to the soapbox as long as you listen to mine. I will not hate you or leave you. I will love till the bitter and/or non-bitter end.

I too hope the dampner is never closed here. This is put on by such a wonderfull man! He has earned my respect, which is why I very seldom respond to the topics that cause dissention among us. He is so good at knowing when to stop these treads. I hope I never cause him to stop mine.

Thank you Dan, for all you do for us, steve
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    This has been

a good discussion, with mature people respecting each other's views and hearing each other out. Thanks to all of you for keeping it on that level.

Now, how 'bout them heating systems? ;-)

Retired and loving it.
  • Discussions

I have learned over the years that it is pretty hard to learn anything new while talking. I usually have to be listening in order for learning to occur.
This discussion has been closed.