Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water heater - Gary

Options
Mark Eatherton1
Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
Gary, Welcome to the US of A. The theory behind stone lined storage tanks is that the potential for corrosion is spread throughout the whole tank by the cement. I suppose that in theory it works fine, but in the real world, if it works so well, why are we constantly changing out leakers? I'm not a big fan of the stone lined tank. Neither is my back. If we get called out to replace a stone tank, we specifically do NOT include removal and haul off of the old tank in our proposal. Had to replace stairs once. Lost all the profit to rebuilding the stairs.

Give me either a stainles steel tank, or a glass lined mild steel tank with an anode. Proven reliability. Nothing lasts forever.

ME

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=88&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Gary Usa
    Gary Usa Member Posts: 40
    Options
    vaughn water heater 50 gallons

hiya guys,thanks for the kind words,this was indeed the first water heater that i have installed on my own over here.

it was indeed heavy,the coil i dropped in from the top,found that if i held the plates out put them onto the bolts,but held the flat plates with long nose pliers,then when i tightened them up they just swung round into position.

made sure i fitted a new t & p valve,vented the primaries,and fitted the new aquastat that came with the unit,found the insulation and cover a bit of fun,but with a little bit of thinking and adjusting went on ok.

it was nice to have had plenty of room around the unit to work on,makes a difference to our copper water heaters,it was indeed stone lined.

thanks again and if it is ok will post a few more of my jobs on here.

one question if i may please is the stone lining in place of a anode rod,what is the main purpose of the stone lining.insulation etc.

thanks again

all the best

gary usa
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    Options

Will hold the heat for quick recovery rates,still see alot of 80 gal. stone lined electric units in service.Also think doctors & lawyers love them too! great for back pain cases.
    Welcome to USA Good Day!
This discussion has been closed.