Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small, small gyp pour - HR

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
Is it possible to hand mix a gyp product? A customer wants to level 110 square feet of a sloped slab to convert an old outdoor concrete deck into an extra room. The slope would be from say 1/4" to 1-1/2" in a 10 by 11 foot area. Any other ideas? Thanks

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    they make

floor levelers for fixing stuff like that, cannot think of the brand name ,this is sold at wholesale tile places,not home centers or lumberyards but if i do i will come back and edit.

this is good from 1/8 to 1'' i think, so you may need two pours, calculating the amount is the hardest part of job. but if you have a good dealer ,they may return a few extra bags,make sure you get enough

be sure to use the primers for adhesion to the old floor and (looks like elmers)the prouduct that you need is not the white powdery stuff, that does not work!!at all!!

and when mixing this (grey) it will looked like it is mixed within a minute, but you must keep mixing for 3 1/2 minutes to make sure it activates (we used a large "keg" barrel and a large beater from the tile place) if you need i'll lend you mine
    Options
    ok

the product we used is called "mapei"
    heres the link http://www.mapei.com/
    very good results with this
    our east coast dealer is best tile
    do not know where you would get it
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options

Is this a pour-able liquid product, similar to Gypcrete or Hackers or a trowel on paste type? I would like something that you could dump on ant it would float the floor level. Not that I'm being pickey :)

hr

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Options
    definately

pour on. we mesured the water before the mix, then added or deleted every mix to be precise, we only trowled to put it into place then it leveled it self

and if you need extra thick, you have to let the first pour set up (day) before hitting it a second time, we used a RA drill for mixing, very important to keep mixing
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Water

The last I used (Armstrong)--grey like mentioned was very finicky about the amount of water. I used a bit less than the recommended water on the first batch--it was a velvety "cake batter" consistency--perfect I thought.

By the time I carried it up a flight of steps and to the rear of the house it was solid!
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    gyp

Hotrod:gypsum concrete can be hand mixed butitdoesn't self level aswell as aportland based product. mapei is portland based. the down side is the portland based product will shrink a lot at 1-1/2" depth. The proper method is to use some washed pea gravel fill in the deep area. You must prime all privious lifts before repouring on top. call me if you want to talk. We do these all the time. 716-649-5723
This discussion has been closed.