Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard - Dan Peel

Options
Dan Peel
Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
Today was show and tell at a new dairy facility. We did the radiant in office and lunch room, the milking parlor baseboard as shown here and DHW production for process water. Enjoy..... Dan

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=174&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Options
    Very Nice Job

Curious Dan............the HWBB in the Milking Parlor,was that a good choice?Is that area hosed and sterilized?I'm thinking the cabinet will show wear(rust) rather quickley.And those cow pies........errrrrrrr they tend to how you say splurt and splat:).........You do some cool jobs.Nice pic.

cheese
  • Dan Peel
    Options
    The Thinking is..

Of the choices the HWBB should stand up the best and provide the kind of results we were asked for (Quick response, Min/Max stat control, minimal waste heat to the cows). You're sure right about the negative environs. It's not just milk that comes out that end of a cow. The boards are a Slant-fin 356 - the H6 fin tube is 1 1/4 steel with steel fins - aluminum fin tube really hates the amonia - totaling 32 ft.. The copper is all clear coated and the owners are willing to paint the housings if they show signs of deterioration. Time will tell. Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options

Why not radiant in the parlor also??? Did two of them last fall and they performed like a charm all winter!!!
    Also ran just enough in the crowd area on one of them to keep them there cow pies from freezing and making it much easier to wash down without creating a skating rink.
    I agree with cheese, I won't go for anything that can rust in there, very few farmers will keep anything nice for very long!!! (G)
  • Dan Peel
    Options
    No Radiant

Below this parlor is a second room full of milking equipment - insulation would be difficult. They elected to use 1" rubber matting on top of the floor. None of the locals who have radiant in their parlor floors us it - this wet environment seems to wick away the heat faster than the slab can release it to the area. Other facilities have then added tube heaters. Time will be the true test. Enjoy..... Dan

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Baseboard

Looks great Dan! Thanks for using our products.

If the baseboard is the standard Nu-White, the paint is prior coated (before cutting and forming). Next time, if I were you, I would probably give the baseboard a couple of coats of a good spray paint. (Clean it well first, probably with 'liquid sandpaper). Get the edges, Around the louvre edges also. The edges and the bend areas are the places that allow the rust to begin. If you do what I suggest, you will surely significantly reduce the amount of time befor the appearance suffers and requires refinishing.

Steve Levine

Slant/Fin
  • Dan Peel
    Options
    Tomorrow

Hi Steve,
    Tomorrow is finish up day on this project and we still have a week or so before the herd moves in.
    In the schedule is 2 coats of clear on all the internal and exposed surfaces of the baseboard units.
    Should we be using colour coat or will the clear (Tremclad) give us the same results?

Dan

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    stainless

doesany one make a stainless baseboard unit? that would eliminate a lot of problems and extra work
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Parlors and barns and cows, OH MY!

We have more cows than people in our county so I've done just a tad bit of work in those places. My brother in law designs milking systems, and installs Alfa-Laval, Germania and Universal Milking equipment. Those places just spakle with all that stainless in them don't they?

I've done a lot of radiant floor in barns and corrected/repaired quite a few radiant systems that others have installed. The biggest mistake is trying to get the floor temp up to high to compensate for lack of area. This bakes the "shiza" (German for poop) on to the floor. Farmers, as a rule are not overjoyed with this situation.

I would like to see that BB after a year of the acid based soap and clorine based sanitizers that are used on dairies nowadays. My gut tells me it will be a grim situation to say the least.

What configuration is that parlor. Triangle? The neatest one I ever did was a rotary platform like a merry-go-round that held 24 cows at a time. As one got on another would get off while the rest went for the ride.

• Dan Peel
    Options
    More milk

This is a simple U shaped setup with 16 stations, air gating etc.
    The throughput is about 70 per hour and they are to milk 3 times a day.
    The baseboard are fairly well protected with the overhangs and troughs in the stainless.
    I too want to see them in a year. I've seen enough in the high ammonia areas of pig barns to know they can last quite well. Enjoy.....Dan

• Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options

The great thing about radiant done right....

is that you don't have to get the floors so ungodly hot that it bakes the poop!!!! The parlours that I have done were only designed to run at 50*!!! The people that I was dealing with didn't want it any hotter than that, so you just run tubing like you would for a normal radiant job, say about 12" centers, a little closer on the edges, insulate the edges and bottom and run 100* water through and it does a fantastic job, and no poop fritters!!!
    The biggest mistakes I have seen is no insulation!!! W#as called to look at one that was using 275 gal of oil a week and had flowers growing beside it in Jan. with snow starting about 6-8 feet out from the building!!!!

Hey that looks like a great parlour!!! One of the jobs I did last fall was just like it, only they poured the floor wrong and had to jackhammer up the slopped area towards the pit and repour it!!! I only had to patch about four places where they went through it with the hammers!!!!
    Man, that wirsbo pex can really take a beating from a jack hammer and still hold up!!!! Just heat it up with the heat gun and it snaps right back in shape!!!!

Good luck with that radiation, I think you will need it! :-)
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Coatings

Dan,
    I think that color is not the issue. I am not an expert on coatings nor do I know anything about the material you are using, but I think that almost any coating will be very helpful.
    Glad that we're on the same page.

Steve Levine

Slant/Fin
This discussion has been closed.