Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installation of Thermofin - Ed W.

Ed_5
Ed_5 Member Posts: 24
I'll be installing Thermofin U for the first time in a radiant ceiling application. I plan on using 1/2 inch self drilling Grabber screws to hold to plywood sleepers. What's the best spacing for the screws? Has anyone used an air stapler? I know this isn't a big list of issues but should I be aware of anything else to make the job go as smooth as possible? Thanks in advance for any help. -Ed

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Thermofin tools

Here is what I use. A basic coil nailer, you can rent these also, I pick em up used for around $100.00. They do make a 3/4" coil nail Senco HJ11ATAP, if you shoot to the bottom of 3/4" plywood. A stapler works also, make sure you get one with enough balls to shoot thru the heavy gauge aluminum. Most finish staplers won't.

Notice the vintage 1992 Entran 11 hose on my compressor, as flexible and soft as day one :)

Another method for plates is the screw method, a bit slower I've found. I tried a Quik Drive auto feed screw gun for an overhead application, once. The shavings from the aluminum kept plugging the feed mechanism however. It may work fine for working on floors however. Many tool rental places offer them with the extension handle also.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    E2 will last FOREVER...

Provided that it doesn't see heat and water ;-)

I also saw a piece one time that was in perfect condition on a job. It was being used as a drain for the ice maker on one of those humongous refer/freezer combo's on one of them billion dollar trophy homes up in the mountains.

Is the use of E2 as an air hose consider mi-use and abuse? Best not let GY know that you're using, er abusing it that way:-)

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    thermofin

We use a Hitachi staple gun with 3/4" staples. seems to work better than anything else. We had a problem with screws stripping out and the plate falling down after some time. Staples are much faster and haven't had any drops yet.
  • larry
    larry Member Posts: 91

Troy,

Are you using the Hitachi N3804AB Stapler?
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    stapler

I'm not sure. I'll look when I go to my shop.
  • larry
    larry Member Posts: 91
    Making the bend at the end of a joist bay...

The Thermofin folks suggest installing the plates to the very end of the joist bay. They say to have the PEX exit the channel at a shallow angle, make the 180 degree bend, and then re-enter the Thermofin at a shallow angle. Using this method you never come out the ends of the Thermofin (and don't have to debur them when cut).

Do you Thermofin installers out there use this method with success? Some local contractors I've talked to who have experience with RTI are extremely skeptical of this installation technique.
  • staplers for fin

I have found out in the field the following working:

Stapler Porter Cable #MS200 7/16 crown stapler. Use Prebena 5/8 galv staples 16 gauge L16 similar to Senco N-10 Hitachi

wheels
This discussion has been closed.