Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas meter

plumbit
plumbit Member Posts: 8

hi I’m in south west Ontario Canada. I have a 17kW standby generator that I’d like to get installed rating plate says 248000 Btu. I currently have a 60,000 Btu furnace and 40,000 Btu hot water tank. How do I know if I need a bigger meter ? And how would they test it? And is there a way to read it on the meter?

Comments

• delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 964
    edited 3:04AM

Think of it more in terns of m^3/hr. What's the maximum flow rate on your meter? 5.5. You're already over with just the generator.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,771

That is a question for your gas supplier

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ChrisJmattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,154
    edited 8:34PM

The meter you have can handle the load you're asking about under certain conditions. But there's also a chance it won't.

You're asking about a total load of roughly 348,000 btu/h. The meter is rated for 250,000 (give or take, it's not always a direct conversion from scfh to 1000 btu/h). But that rating is at 1/4 psig and assumes you can only tolerate a 1/2"WC pressure drop. If your system can tolerate more pressure drop it'll likely work,.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing what gas pressure your system is setup with or how it's piped. How it's piped will tell you how much pressure drop everything can tolerate. You really need to have someone that knows what they're doing come out and decide what needs to be done.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    delcrossv
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,127

Your meter is good for 250 cfh or about 250,000 btu so your meter is too small. Call the gas utility and see if they can install a larger meter and if they can supply the gas you need.

delcrossv