Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Name this fitting

angelotrivelli
angelotrivelli Member Posts: 16
edited October 21 in Plumbing

I've got an AGA gas cooktop that has a slight gas leak. Using a flammable gas detector, I isolated the source to one fitting.

The fitting looks like some type of flared fitting. It had a stiff washer in it too. Before I try tightening it up again, I would like to know more about it. This is a British-made cooktop.

I am not sure exactly how the washer that was in it is supposed to function. It does not seem supple enough to form a seal, so maybe it sits on the back of the upper nut (not shown) to prevent galling as the nut is tightened?

Here's a pic…

BTW, here's the washer. It's not 100% obvious to me what role it has.

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,310
    edited October 21

Looks like a typical union fitting. The mating female that captures the flare is the part you described as off camera. Your guess on purpose of the washer sounds reasonable.

Edit: thanks for update pictures on gasket. Per @hot_rod - that gasket seals the union.

angelotrivelli
  • angelotrivelli

Thanks! That helps me a lot!

I notice there's some discoloration on the part that seals. I wonder if that's some kind of contamination. These types of couplings are supposed to be strictly metal-on-metal, right?

I am tempted to try cleaning it off. Perhaps removing the corrosion on the outside upper pipe with steel wool, and using isopropyl on the mating surface.

PC7060
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,310

If mating surface has a lot of dirt or corrosion, ’d use fine grade 0000 steel wool to clean up the surface.

angelotrivelli
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,891

probably uses a green or blue fiber washer. The washer should always be replaced when you open the connection.

It should not need any pipe dope if both surfaces are clean

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060angelotrivelli
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,771

Name this fitting

OK I will play. Since it is on a British made cook top… I will call that fitting Kipper! From the cartoon

I just looks like a Kipper to me. Let ms know what other names you get!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,454

Looks like half of a union and a flare adapter for a flexible gas connector

• angelotrivelli

Yes, that's exactly right. It's a fiber washer. I added a pic in my post of it.

PC7060