Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Humming Noise from Gas-Fired Hot Water Boiler Zone

bsewards
bsewards Member Posts: 1

My home has an older boiler, Teledyne Laars JVS-125C (30 psi max, 103k ctu/h heating capacity). I had it serviced/fired up last month and didn't notice that the basement zone circulator makes a continuous 3 second rising humming/vibration noise that I can hear throughout the house (3 zones, 3 levels, 3 circulators). I believe it's the basement zone because the sound only occurs when I turn the basement thermostat up to activate the zone.

I was going to start by trying to bleed the air out of the basement zone, but the hook up is baseboard (1st and 2nd level are cast iron radiators) and I can't seem to find a bleeder valve near the baseboard pipes or a drain above the circulator shut-off valves. The basement zone pipes are a bit smaller than the other 2 zones, but the circulators are the same (except the basement ironically has the newer model taco 007-f4, whereas the others have the taco 007-f3).

Here is a video of the noise:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VVknSTwwsaJoD6pq8

And here's the whole set up:

Should I even bother trying to bleed the air out of the basement zone? I could also try adding one of those auto-bleed valves if necessary?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676

The reason most heaters Hummmm is because they forgot the words.

Try placing the sheet music on the ground in front of the boiler and see if that stop the humming

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,937
    edited October 17

Run the basement zone for a while , see if clears up . It could be just summer grit …

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,083

If the basement zone circulator is the one closest to the chimney, then there's no purge valve like the other two zones have.

Are there bleeders on the basement emitters?

NO air eliminators. You have an "air control system".