Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Right Pressure for Steam Heating Systems

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 671
edited October 17 in THE MAIN WALL
imageThe Right Pressure for Steam Heating Systems

In this excerpt from his Dead Men’s Steam School seminar, Dan Holohan shares his knowledge about pressuretrols and the optimum pressure for steam heating systems. He talks about the difference between sensible and latent heat and why a steam heating system will work at 2 psi if you only get the air out of its way.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CarlM
    CarlM Member Posts: 13

The right handed screwdriver is cheaper

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,676

I just mentioned this to someone on another site:

while reminiscing about his days as an apprentice, he remembers being asked to get a pipe stretcher from the work truck. Then I remarked that you could never ask that apprentice to get you one of these after pulling that trick on him.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Marc_18
    Marc_18 Member Posts: 12

My boiler is slightly oversized. All vents are sized correctly. For overnight setbacks greater than 4-5 degrees, the p’tol will hit the current setting of 1.5 oz and begin to cycle the boiler.

Question is whether to 1) leave things alone, 2) raise the p’tol setting a bit to, say, 2 oz, 3) manually raise the thermostat in stages in the morning to reach the desired house temp without pressures going above ~1.5 oz or 4) set the overnight house temperature to be higher (undesired)?

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 971
    edited October 17

That's normal operation for the circumstances, I'd leave it alone.

Bburd
  • Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 269

Do not raise the pressure. The pressuretrol cycling the boiler at 1.5oz is doing its job keeping the system in the proper operating pressure range.