Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sanity check please on combustion analysis

FloMo201
FloMo201 Member Posts: 61

Good morning,

I had my hot water gas fired boiler serviced this past friday. It is about 5 years old, 175btu, Peerless MI.

With knowledge learned here, i scouted out a new service company that would perform a combustion analysis. Tech told me everything was running fine. I asked about CO. He said, CO was about 20ppm, but never rose. I asked where taken and he told me through the draft opening so the tip is behind the vent opening. I also asked if that reading was high and he told me "not really, 100ppm is generally the limit." He did not give me any additional details.

I do have CO detectors in the basement and on every level of the house…the UL listed type, not low level. Boiler sits in an unfinished basement which is open…I never finished it.

For whatever reason this has been on my mind, so back your great minds. Thoughts?

Thank you, Flo

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,115

20 ppm is fine.

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,263
    edited October 14

Sounds ok to me. 20 PPM is normal. No worries if the draft on the chimney is ok.

I always recommend low level CO detectors. The typical UL rated hardware store detectors are barely better than nothing.

STEAM DOCTOR
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,106

General rule is a boiler, or a furnace should be below 50ppm. 100 is allowable. 20 is fine

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • FloMo201
    FloMo201 Member Posts: 61

Thank you everyone. I will definitely get a low level. There is one that gets recommended here, i will find it.

For placement of a low level CO……basement or the first floor?

Thanks again, Flo