Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I heard a drip. . . EK System 2000

Juggatweet
Juggatweet Member Posts: 11

Got home from work & notice a tray under my boiler is full of water and appears to be coming out of 2 pipes, photo attached. Wondering why and if anything easy I can do to resolve?

((Yes I will probably just call Village Oil but I always come here first to see if I can save a few bucks on an easy DIY fix))

Greening

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,291
    edited October 9

Leaking boiler drain valves? As a band aid you can get some brass caps from your local hardware store or big box store and screw them on. Have your service provider replace them next time you have the annual maintenance performed.

I would also change how the gray expansion tank is installed. Sidewards tanks are more prone to failure. As someone who works on dozens of EK boilers I have to say that the way that one is installed is quite unusual.

JuggatweetRoger
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,463

What does the pressure gauge read? Might be something causing the system to over pressure and that is where it is coming out. 2 valves at once would be unusual unless it was just unnoticed after some service.

SuperTech
  • Juggatweet
    edited October 9

@SuperTech Thanks! I was looking at my post from last year & someone mentioned the same about the direction of the expansion tank & I did have it changed but the guy put it the same way so I need to ask them to fix it. This might be silly but if I put a cap on so the leak stops, will the water build up & just leak somewhere else?

@mattmia2 gauge appears to be right at 20psi, maybe 15.

• mattmia2

20 psig is a little high but isn't abnormal, someone might have set it that way for some reason. what is it when the system is heating?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,895

I would not worry sbout the expansion tank mounting. Amtrol and Zilmet show horizontal as acceptable, vertical as preferred

You might csp the two vslves, see if that stoos the water. Jeep as n eye on the pressure gauge, it may go up when you cap off the valves

Next close off the fill valve to prevent water from entering and raising the pressure

I wonder if a failed plate HX would cause a pressure increase?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Juggatweet
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 358

@Juggatweet , you’re in good hands with @SuperTech and @mattmia2 - great analysis and comments for both the quick fix and longer term corrective actions. During service, also check the pH and consider adding 8 Way or a comparable boiler additive which may help if the current boiler water chemistry contributed to the leaking boiler drains.
    Roger

President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Juggatweet
  • Juggatweet

I think it was at 20 psi when operating bc I look now and it's a little under 15. The kid at my local hardware store was useless, I could only find one brass cap & it was much smaller.The 1 I need is about the same size as a 2L soda bottle but I won't use it since I'm assuming the hot water/pipe won't be kind to the plastic.

• mattmia2

Look with the garden hoses and hose nozzles. It is garden hose thread. A brass cap would be better but plastic would be fine too. Find a cap that will thread on to the hoses.

Juggatweet