Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Fired Hot Water Boiler - What is main difference between WGO-6 Gold and Velocity Crown Boiler?

Anne_Shollenberger
Anne_Shollenberger Member Posts: 1
edited October 9 in THE MAIN WALL

I received prices on a Weil McLain WGO-6 hot water boiler and a Velocity Crown Boiler - Tobago TWB150.

The Crown Boiler pricing is about $ less.

The Weil McLain is a 196 KBTU with 150 output.

I was told the TWB150 is 214,000 BTU wit ame 150 output

Both would have a Becket Burner.

Which should I buy for my 2 story 4216 sq ft building?

Is the Weil McLain a better boiler than the Crown boiler?

Which boiler do you prefer to work on?

(Also anyone know if there is a disadvantage to buying the Weil McLain Utra vs the WGO-6 except that the WGO-6 appears to look like most standard furnaces. The Ultra is about $ cheaper than the WGO-6).

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,291

The quality of the installation is much more important than the brand name of equipment. Focus on who is doing the job rather than what brand they are installing. How was the size of the boiler determined? Did either contractor perform a manual J load calculation? What kind of warranty is offered? Does either estimate include any upgrade to the near boiler piping and hydronic components?

Heating systems can't be compared like buying a car or refrigerator. The assembly of the complete boiler system differs depending on who does it. Your boiler might be the same model as the one in the building next door but reliability and efficiency might be drastically different depending on the quality of the installation.

bburd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,128

What @SuperTech mentioned the installer & the installation is the most important thing. The WGO-6 is a proven boiler it's been around a long time. I am not as familiar with Crown but a lot of people like them and I am sure they are fine. I would stay away from Ultra.

One of the most important things is to make sure the new boiler is sized properly. Most contractors will not take the time to do a heat loss. You can't correctly size a new boiler by basing it off the old boiler or the radiation installed.

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,145

Personally i have not installed a ultra but have installed weil mclain wgo boilers and there fine ,never had any major issues as long as installed properly . If given the choice for hot water oil fired i would be looking at buderus followed by peerless and for steam peerless and then weil mclain . As for the oil side i personally would not use crown but this is my preference .

peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,771

Agree with the above and emphasize to make sure they are sizing it properly. Both of those are fairly large boilers and would indicate a heat loss ~35 btu/sq ft, which would indicate and extremely old house with no or very little insulation. If the house is even somewhat modern, with insulation and decent windows, I'd suggest both of those are oversized and would impact my confidence in the contractor in a negative way.

With oil on modest sizer houses, typically the smallest boiler is appropriate because oil only goes so low. With a house your size, a heat loss is definitely needed to get the boiler sized properly.

If they simply looked at the old one and sized from that, I would not hire them. If they measured the emitters and sized from that, I would not hire them.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    SuperTech