Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BG100 Lubrication

StanKatz
StanKatz Member Posts: 17

I purchased a BG100 at the turn of the century. It always had a low flow problem in a zone. So 5 years later I installed a Taco 0010 in its place. No joy. Then I replaced the low flow zone valve with a full port valve. That solved the problem. I left the Taco in for the next 7 years. When it was time to freshen up the boiler accessories the plumber messed up replacing the Taco seal. That destroyed the Taco. I reinstalled the BG100 that had been sitting unused for at least 12 years. My old eyes couldn't read the lubrication plate anymore. So I found a BG100 sales sheet on the web which calls for 6 drops in the motor bearings, and one teaspoon of oil in the pump bearing each season, after an initial installation load of one ounce. I recently became curious about what was on the lubrication plate on my BG100. I took a magnifier to the lubrication instruction plate on my BG100 and it stated one ounce at the beginning of each season in the pump bearing and 12 drops in the motor bearings. I've been following the sales sheet instructions for the last three years. Did the manufacturer adjust the lubrication schedule to reduce leakage from the seals, or did the BG100 get a "downsizing" of components since 2000 which need less oil? The BG100 rep. said if I haven't had any problems, I can just continue using the sales sheet instructions. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,934

Don't oil the motor…. too much softens the motor mounts and throws out the alignment . Better dry then die . 20w non detergent oil for the bearing . Check to see if the wick which holds and recycles the oil is in place . Under the cover ….

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,106

The amount of oil is not that critical but I wouldn't over oil. I would continue doing what your doing. You can probably replace the cartridge in the Taco

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,210

I have seen a lot of these old circs that have been overoiled.

As Big Ed said too much motor oil will soften the mounting rings and the motor sags.

When that happens the coupling gets too much flex action and breaks quicker.

The school I attended in the 60's had the boys (over) oil the pumps every week.

I service that system today and had the motors cleaned at a motor shop and the leads replaced.

Both 1961 motors are still in service as of today. A real credit to B&G motors.

delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 901
    edited October 9

B&G has a handy prefilled tube marked for how much goes in each bearing. Fully agree on not over oiling the motor bearings, but they do need some.

Here you go.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Gossett-L23401-Oil-Tube-1-5-oz

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 968
    edited October 9

Those oil tubes that any supply house sells are only for an initial oiling of a brand new pump and should not be used for a yearly oiling amount. B&G recommends oiling the pump yearly with 20-30 drops on non-detergent oil (not 3 in1oil), and 10-20 drops of oil in each motor bearing. I found over the years of service that even that amount of oil was excessive but they are the mfg and should know what they are stating. Note that the pump itself can not be over-oiled since it has a drip hole that will dump any excess oil and leave a mess/stain on the floor below the pump. Years ago, we were told by the B&G reps to oil the motor yearly (about 5 drops) and to overfill the pump once until the oil runs out the overflow. Put an oil drip container to catch the excess oil below the pump and then re-oil that pump after about 5 years. My experience was that everyone over oiled those pumps. They all had an oil spot on the floor beneath the pump and the motor mounts were soft. I always carried a box of new motor mounts.

delcrossv
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,242

One thing to note when comparing old BG100s and new is that the old had sintered bronze bearings and the new just straight bronze. When we bought our first home I bet the pump hadn't been oiled in 20 years and was just fine for another 15 years ( I probably replaced the mounts at some point). Do that with the new bronze bearings and the unit is done in a year or two.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 968

Thanks @The Steam Whisperer, Just like the saying goes"you are never too old to learn something new". Here I am at 80+ and I just learned something new to me. Thanks!!