Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP Phoenix PH 199 throwing F11, false flame signal

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,229

Helper installed this, did excellent job. I just returned home yesterday.

This was throwing the F11 code from the beginning, first light off of 9-4-24.

Tank would be cold and admin would reset and unit would fire until the next call for heat.

They finally switched over to another WH supply.

So I fire it today and shut down by turning gas off, F09 of course, no flame detected.

Reset and it shows F11, false flame signal…..however it does show a small flame thru the sight glass. If I shut off the gas the flame goes out and you can hear the flow stop.

So is gas valve leaking by or………some voltage feeding the gas valve?

I did not test this with the gas valve electric plug disconnected. Will do that tomorrow.

Wonder if anyone has had this problem.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,463
    edited September 16

I was going to 100% say light on a photoelectric sensor, but sounds like a leaking valve or a leak in a connection to the valve that is keeping it fired. If it goes out when you turn the power off you would know if it is the valve or the control.

• JUGHNE

Thanks Matt, this has a flame sensing rod.

Small flame goes out when shutting off the gas….but power is still on.

I have to check this tomorrow…….I haven't had my troubleshooting hat on for quite awhile and should have pulled the plug out of the gas valve.

• JUGHNE

I went there today but could not get the F11 code nor get the actual small flame showing thru the sight port.

Called tech support, he said that is very rare for the gas valve to pass gas like this.

But I saw it happen several times yesterday. So shut it down and ordered a new gas valve.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,128

Could have had a pipe chip in the gas valve.

• JUGHNE
    edited October 7

Returned to the job with a replacement gas valve. Installed 2 weeks ago and have had no problem since.

Sent original valve back for warranty…..see how that goes.

There is a very fine mesh screen on the gas inlet connection and it was clean.

Just a side note for anyone who has to change one of these out, I recommend just removing the entire burner for better access to the 7 screws involved.

Thanks for input.

mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,128

Glad you got it fixed!!

JUGHNE