Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood boiler piping design

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,462

I have a customer who has one of these outdoor wood "furnaces" Thing is around 1 mil btu.

Wants to use it to heat his home, dual solarium and pool.

Looking for design help.

Anyone have an online design service I can get him to connect with please?

ty ,kevin

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 889

Caleffi "Idronics" manual. Don't know the number. 24?, 25? The one about solid fuel heating system design. Most design principles are covered in that with great schematics. For cord wood, pellets, coal etc.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,891

Is it an open type OWF?

I'd start with a generously sized plate HX, everything downstream of that treat like any other hydronic piping system. Will the OWF piping come into a central mechanical room then distribute to other buildings? Or multiple loops outside to the buildings from the OWF?

The underground piping is often undersized if in fact it is 1 million BTU, you are talking some large underground piping sizes!

Wood burning takes some time and patience to dial in. With a stove that size I'd expect some over firing until they learn fire to the heatload size. You can't just jam them full of wood and walk away like many of the ads lead you to believe :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,033

I have designed and installed hundreds of these systems. If you can get me some specifics on the boiler, emitters, heat loads and distances, etc I'd be happy to help you out with this.