Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Rinnai Parts - redneck repair.

Options
nibs
nibs Member Posts: 516

We have pinhole leaks developing in this part, which is on backorder with Rinnai, after 5 years since new. This is our (hopefully) temp fix while we either await the new part, or turf out the Rinnai and buy a different brand. We cleaned up the leaks, with sand paper, shmeared rtv on the pipes and covered the rtv with a patch of EPDM and the hose clamps to help apply a bit of pressure. The favorite wife did the horizontal one as my first attempt did not stick.

This part and others is just not available at any of the vendors we have been able to contact.

If any one here has the part in stock we have an E50 but the part is also used on the E75, possibly others. Part #807000058, or 807000059; Please let us know.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,835
    Options

Usually just a hose clamp and a piece of rubber will do it for a pinhole. Is that the DHW or DH side that is leaking?

• nibs
    Options

The horizontal patch leaked both when favorite wife did it and when I did it, We went the J B wet weld route and are just going to test it in a few more minutes………….. stay tuned for the exciting results.

Still dry after about 15 mins so………………… will run the de-aeration cycle in the morning after it is put back together,

Question what do you Pro's do when parts cannot be found. Must be a little like when we were sailing offshore and something broke, You have to get by.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,336
    Options

aggressive water? That is unusual to have multiple leaks in a short period of time

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Options

hence my question about which side this is on. if the water has high chlorides it could destroy the dhw side. the dh side would probably be a leak.

• nibs
    Options

The leaks are in the pipe (s) that come directly off the pressure side of the circulation pump, and are not related to the DHW.

Looks to me that removing the failing pipe would require a complete disassembly of the whole unit, and since rinnai seems to be having supply issues with this part and other parts, of it seems that we may have to scrap the rinnai. If we do replace the boiler it will not be with a rinnai and will probably not be with a combi. To be honest the rinnai was doing exactly what we wanted for the first three years of it's use and then started to give minor problems, then the problems increased this heating season.

PS: on a personal note I capitalize names out of respect, I refuse to capitalize names that I do not respect.

• mattmia2
    Options

If the domestic heating side is corroding you need to figure out why. Usually it is either because there is a leak or many small leaks such that fresh water keeps getting added by an automatic feeder, someone use non-oxygen barrier plastic tubing in the system, or the system has glycol in it and the corrosion inhibiters weren't maintained. A new boiler will leak too if you don't solve the cause of the corrosion. I guess there is another possibility, that products of combustion are leaking from the combustion chamber/vent and producing corrosive ocndensate inside the boiler.

hot_rod
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,153
    Options

@nibs said: "The favorite wife"

What do your other wives think of her?

My favorite girlfriend used to like to watch me work on my hot rod car. I asked her one time, to hand me a screwdriver. Her reply: "Regular, Phillips or Vodka"

Then I made her my wife.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

jamplumb