Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Gas Boiler (replacement parts?)

Options
slateroof
slateroof Member Posts: 2
edited April 28 in THE MAIN WALL

Last summer, I purchased a 1900 brick building with a 20-year-old G124 Buderus gas boiler supplying baseboards. It functioned well over the winter, but I plan to replace its corroded supply manifold this summer. Is this manifold made up of stock threaded nipples, or is it a factory fabrication? If it's a factory part, is there any chance of finding one for such an old unit? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Looks like standard nipples and fittings for the Pressure Relief Valve. Does the water supply for the boiler tie into that also?

20 years is not old for a boiler. That could have decades of life left.

However it's going to be tricky getting those nipples and fittings out. I think it would be worthwhile getting an experienced Pro for this, because if the boiler gets damaged removing those nipples and fittings, might be 5 figures for a new boiler. So a seasoned Pipefitter who has experience with old rusty pipe. Not the new kid on the block with the 4 foot pipe wrench.

The larger question is what happened to cause that. Was it as simple as a leaking pressure relief valve, or is the boiler leaking under the jacket?

Leaking PRVs are sometimes due to a failed expansion tank. Not a big deal, but must be addressed.

I DIY.
    slateroof
  • WMno57
    Options

The PRV looks newer. Maybe it was replaced before you bought the building? The outlet should go to six inches above the floor, but other than that, it might not need anything.

If you are only replacing the pipes for aesthetics, and everything else is checked over and working, might be best to leave the pipes alone.

I DIY.
    slateroof
  • slateroof
    slateroof Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly certain there was a leaky PRV, as there is no sign of leakage elsewhere. I'll admit that the nipple's rusty appearance bothers me! I just located an installation guide for the G-124, and it looks like the manifold (#2 in the diagram) is a special fitting. Perhaps it is not an uncommon fitting, but I woukd need to know that before attempting a replacement!

• WMno57
    Options

Yes, that appears to be a proprietary part.

I have bad luck with threaded pipe where clocking is involved. By clocking, I'm referring to the orientation of right angle outlets. With my luck, when I get the outlet pointing in the right direction, it's not tight enough and leaks. Now the dilemma: Go around another 360 degrees?

Unions and anaerobic thread sealant help, but still a pain to deal with.

If that were mine, it would get lightly wire brushed and painted with some rust converter paint.

I DIY.
    slateroof