Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Convector Air Valve Installation

Options
anatori25
anatori25 Member Posts: 16
edited April 22 in Strictly Steam

Hello,

My old Arco cast iron convector (one pipe steam system) in my bedroom is making a lot of clicking noises when the heat is on. I tried to implement all advice I received on this forum the last year, but alas the noise is still there…I suspect that some nipples connecting sections got loose. Anyway, once the heating season is over the next month, I plan to remove this old one and replace it with new steel convector (OCS S840) (already bought).

Air valve on my old convector (see attached pictures) is on pipe 1/2 1/8, so I can use regular angled 1/8 valve. My new convector is tapped 1/2. My question is: do I really need to install pipe first, and then air valve or 1/2 1/8 fitting plus straight air valve will suffice? What is the reason why air valve on my old convector is elevated and not attached directly to convector?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,572
    Options

The higher the air vent above the element the less chance of getting water pushed up into the air vent. If you have the room to elevate it I would do that. If your steam pressure is low, it is probably not an issue, but you don't want to have to redo anything.

mattmia2
  • anatori25
    edited April 22
    Options

Got it! Thank you so much. It is an apartment building in NYC, top floor, and the steam pressure is much-much above normal (they do it to comply with the City's regulations), that's why air valves not last long…So definitely I need to elevate the air valve and will do it!

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options

I'd be interested in seeing the regulation that says they have to run it at a specific pressure.

You can also get straight air vents, that is what is usually used on convectors.

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options

I'd bet it is to comply with keeping the temps at a certain level. You know the old crank it up and it heats thing, which we all know is wrong.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    mattmia2
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options

Is it actually the vent the vent? My convectors "click" when the heat comes on from 'cold' - mild expansion noises but don't when the system is consistently hot/warm.

• anatori25
    Options

Thank you, guys, for your advice!

I already dismounted the old monster convector (using crowbar and breaking sections) and will install 1/2 x 5.5 in. pipe and 1/2 x 1/8 elbow for regular angled air valve.

P.S. I asked my building's super about the pressure, he said it is very high, but had no actual numbers. 5 year ago, the Board installed the new more compact boiler, and it looks like whoever installed it did initial settings.

As for pressure, there is no specific psi, only regarding temperature:

Heat Season (October 1st to May 31st):

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options

That woudl be an argument for lower pressure. The higher the pressure, the more poorly the steam travels through the system.

bburd