Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best brand/model hydronic toekick heater?

Options
cckriss
cckriss Member Posts: 29
I need about 6000 BTU toekick heater for my kitchen. What is a high quality brand that will last? I’d like quiet also. Also, maybe a filter location?

Thank you

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    They are all about the same.
    Beacon Morris and Smith environmental.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    edited April 12
    Options
    Beacon-Morris...Toaster. my father in law, just changed the motor on one I installed 28 yrs ago because it started to squeal like a stuck pig....Thats a pretty good run.Mad Dog 
    Derheatmeister
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited April 12
    Options
    Turbonics, I like the muffin like fan. I don't like the cage fans. I think it is a more reliable motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4EhCOkEPg
    Mad Dog_2
  • pvs2487
    pvs2487 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 12
    Options
    FWIW, I had four of these Turbonics units in my old house in Central NJ and they performed well. Two needed motor replacements after 10-12 years, and there was only one parts supplier at the time (in Maine, I think). So, be advised that parts availability may be limited through the local channels.
  • HomerJSmith
    edited April 12
    Options
    Even cage type fan motors need lubrication after a time. Same with Turbonics. I use a high grade turbine oil and a hypodermic syringe. I think it's called Maintenance.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    I didnt think the Turbonics ones were still around.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    @cckriss Do yourself a favor and install an access panel in the cabinet prior to install. Easier to do it up front then wait until later when something breaks.
    kcopp
  • cckriss
    edited April 13
    Options
  • cckriss
    Options
    DJD775 said:

@cckriss Do yourself a favor and install an access panel in the cabinet prior to install. Easier to do it up front then wait until later when something breaks.

I cut out a 15" x 15" cutout in the bottom of my cabinet per the instructions. I don't even know I would install the heater without the access panel???
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    Home Depot?  Ughh...Mad Dog 
  • HomerJSmith
    edited April 13
    Options
    I haven't done toe-kick heaters in a long, long time. This is the way I have always done it. You must have an access to the heater. Try and replace a cage fan motor or make any other repairs without one.
    I cut the bottom of the cabinet floor out the size of the heater with a sabre saw. That is my access panel. I then glue and screw a ledger to the bottom of the cabinet cutout so that the part of the cabinet that I sawed out won't fall thru the opening when I lay it back over the hole. I then go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of plastic that is used in lav walls and cut that to the size of the bottom of the cabinet and lay it on the floor of the cabinet for a nice finished look.