Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Argo AR Zone light on with no call from Thermostat

Options
Holder
Holder Member Posts: 15
edited April 1 in Thermostats and Controls
Hello! Over the past few weeks, my radiant heating system has been acting up. Despite turning off the thermostat, my basement has sometimes become unbearably hot. Upon inspecting my Argo Controller, I noticed that the zone light sometimes remains illuminated even when the thermostat is off. Now, I’m wondering if this issue could be related to the Argo controller or relay, or if there might be a short in the wiring. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 🔥 Thanks!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    edited April 1
    Options
    Try switching the cube relay in the Argo with one from another zone.
    If that doesn't work, disconnect one wire from TT from that zone.
    Those the easiest to check if you don't have an electrical meter.
    Are there actuators involved?
    What make and model thermostat? Floor sensor? 
    Can you post pics of the radiant piping?

Holder
  • Holder
    Options
    Actuators all remain off but pump is working therefore only the one room with the actuator removed from the pipe is getting hot. (I removed the actuator from the pipe for that one room since I thought that letting the pump run with all actuators closed might damage the pump). My main question is if a control board issue can be causing the light to be on even though there is no call from the thermostat? Thnaks
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    If the actuator is off the valve body, then the valve is open.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,918
    edited April 2
    Options
    The AR zone light will indicate that there is a call for heat. To determine if it is the control, remove one of the thermostat wires connected to the AR control, from the zone that is calling for heat. When you remove that wire, if the light goes out, then the wire that is connected to the AR zone is closing the circuit. You need to determine where that is happening. If the light stays on when you remove that wire, then the control is defective. replace the control.

EDIT: Diagram showing 4 possibilities and how that removing a thermostat wire from the AR control can diagnose if control is defective as shown on Zone 4 thermostat.

Is the green light the one that you are talking about? or is it one of the other lights that is staying on?

Or did I pick the wrong Argo Control?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Holder
  • Holder
    Options
    Yes thats the green light that is staying operiodically, I will do this check next time this happens. Thanks
  • Holder
    edited April 2
    Options
    Could an actuator be calling for heat while remining closed?
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Holder said:
    Could an actuator be calling for heat while remining closed?
    You threw out a weird question. The actuator doesn't open and close. It gets 24 volts to heat up and then let the plunger in the manifold rise to allow flow through that loop. If there's no 24 volts, there should be no flow. Or at least no flow 5 minutes after 24 volts has been removed. 
    Are these 2 or 4 wire actuators?