Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure gauge on storage tank

Options
ed_17
ed_17 Member Posts: 13
I noticed the taco 502 relay light for my hot water storage tank was not going off. I put a pressure gauge on my storage tank and noticed that it spikes up to 110. The only way to get the relay light to shut off was to lower the thermostat on the storage tank down to about 110. Water level also rises on the sight glass of steam boiler and I have to lower it every couple of weeks. Storage tank is 6 years old. Any help with this one? Ed

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,945
    Options
    ed_17 said:

I noticed the taco 502 relay light for my hot water storage tank was not going off. I put a pressure gauge on my storage tank and noticed that it spikes up to 110. The only way to get the relay light to shut off was to lower the thermostat on the storage tank down to about 110. Water level also rises on the sight glass of the steam boiler and I have to lower it every couple of weeks. Storage tank is 6 years old. Any help with this one? Ed

Taco 502 is a relay that is designed to operate 2 circulators not usually used on steam boilers, more likely used on water boilers.

Is the water Pressure 110 or the water temperature 110?

Storage tanks can be several different things on a boiler. On a steam boiler that can be a condensate return tank. If you are burning oil there can be an oil storage tank. On water boilers you can find an expansion tank that stores some water and some air to allow a place for the closed system water to expand. There are domestic hot water tanks that can be connected to both steam and water boilers.

Perhaps a picture of your system can help us understand what you are asking?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?