Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for Advice on Pool Heater Line

Options

First time poster, long time lurker. I’m looking for some very magnanimous individual to provide some non-binding, liability-free advice regarding a pool heater I’m installing. I’ve already confirmed the design with the town running yellow poly line 16” underground with anodeless risers on either end and a tracer wire running the length of the line which runs from the meter about 90 feet back, turns 90 degrees, and then runs about 60 feet further to the heater, a 250,000 BTU Hayward H250 natural gas unit. I’ve attached a crude diagram of the line layout and images of the meter/regulator which is 5 PSI 250 CFH @ 1/2”. 

My question is, if I ran a 1&1/2” poly line, would my 5 PSI regulator be able to properly supply the heater? (If that’s a question anyone here could answer.)

The only other appliances using gas concurrently would be a kitchen stove but pretty infrequently and maybe a tiny unvented fire place once or twice. I do have experience running gas lines, and it will be pressure tested and inspected prior to use. Any other tips or other advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much for any thoughts anyone may have. 

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    Are you the Licensed Plumber on file for this install? Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Your going to have to talk to the gas utility. Your existing meter is rater for 250 cubic feet/hour. So it is not close to being large enough to feed the pool heater and any other appliances. The relief valve you show in your picture is set for 8" wc which is low pressure gas. 1 1/2" pipe sounds about right.

You really need to talk to the gas utility and get the meter and pressure available straight befor you decide anything else at this point.

Sounds like you need a plumber unless homeowner work is allowed in your area.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options
    On Natural gas??? Highly doubt that, especially since the Federal D O T now controls all gas distribution....super strict  mad Dog 🐕 
  • cavalier_mtthw
    cavalier_mtthw Member Posts: 4
    edited March 24
    Options
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Are you the Licensed Plumber on file for this install? Mad Dog 🐕 
    I am not a licensed plumber but the homeowner of the detached single-family dwelling performing the work under the provisions of N.J.A.C §5:23-2.15(b)(2)(i). 
    Mad Dog_2CLamb
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,202
    Options
    My gas utility came out and sized the line and new meter when I added a remote shop on my property. I went with a 2 psi set so they local plumbing inspector also observed a pressure test on my existing house lines.
    I no longer have a plumbing license here in Utah, and they do allow HO work if it meets their code. At least in my town.
    So it varies from location to location as far as what work they allow a HO to do on their own property.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mad Dog_2
  • cavalier_mtthw
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    My gas utility came out and sized the line and new meter when I added a remote shop on my property. I went with a 2 psi set so the local plumbing inspector also observed a pressure test on my existing house lines. I no longer have a plumbing license here in Utah, and they do allow HO work if it meets their code. At least in my town. So it varies from location to location as far as what work they allow a HO to do on their own property.
    Thank you, sir. I do believe I am okay to do the gas line myself after speaking with the town. They even supplied a diagram for the pipinng—

My question was more to as whether the 1.5” gas line will supply a 250,000 BTU pool heater with a 5 PSI regulator.

Maybe I should post in the heating sub-forum?
  • cavalier_mtthw
    Options
    Your going to have to talk to the gas utility. Your existing meter is rater for 250 cubic feet/hour. So it is not close to being large enough to feed the pool heater and any other appliances. The relief valve you show in your picture is set for 8" wc which is low pressure gas. 1 1/2" pipe sounds about right. You really need to talk to the gas utility and get the meter and pressure available straight befor you decide anything else at this point. Sounds like you need a plumber unless homeowner work is allowed in your area.

Sorry, I just saw your comment. Thank you so very much. I will call the utility company and have them come out to expand the service to meet the needs of the heater. I very, very much appreciate your help!