Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water boiler re-pipe and pipe sizing question

Options
Bcos17
Bcos17 Member Posts: 8
I’m in the middle of planning a re-pipe of my poorly installed Williamson hot water boiler. My question is about pipe sizing, specifically when to reduce the pipe size out of the boiler (1-1/4”) to 1” feeding a Cross Manifold I plan to use. Should I reduce it with a bushing right out of the boiler so the first cast iron nipple I use is 1”? Or should I wait until right before the cross manifold to reduce the copper from 1-1/4” to 1”? The boiler is 66k BTUs and it is feeding around 50-60 feet of baseboard in 3 zones.

Does anyone see any problems with my setup as I’ve outlined it here?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    for 66,000 but 1" is plenty. 1" will do 80K
    hot_rodBcos17
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Never ......... You can crack the boiler using a bushing , always reducing coupling ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Bcos17
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    Cast iron is just like glass...

delcrossv
  • Bcos17
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

Never ......... You can crack the boiler using a bushing , always reducing coupling ....

Got it. So reducing coupling down to 1" right out of the boiler. Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was a benefit to keeping it 1-1/4" through the air separator and pump.
  • john123
    john123 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Is that an indirect water heater after the manifold?

Would it be helpful to keep the laminar type flow of the water going into the air separator or does it work better if the water stream is "bashed" up by being restricted from 1 1/4 to 1 just before it?

Would not the gut feeling if not science indicate you should carry on the 1 1/4 pipe for at least say 3-6 ft after the tapping port? Why not all the way to the manifold?
  • Big Ed_4
    Options
    Air floats...

• Bcos17
    Options
    john123 said:

Is that an indirect water heater after the manifold?

Would it be helpful to keep the laminar type flow of the water going into the air separator or does it work better if the water stream is "bashed" up by being restricted from 1 1/4 to 1 just before it?

Would not the gut feeling if not science indicate you should carry on the 1 1/4 pipe for at least say 3-6 ft after the tapping port? Why not all the way to the manifold?

No indirect water heater involved. I think you might be looking at the picture of the Adey Magnaclean XP2 dirt separator?