Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating issue

Options
Craig1978
Craig1978 Member Posts: 1
Just found out after 2 years of renting here I've been heating the basement and I'm not required to in the lease what should I do I wondered why my heat was kicking on so much and my heating bill was high for just a two bedroom apartment

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,843
    Options
    Are you saying there's a thermostat in the basement?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The basement is subterranean , low heat loss . Upstairs with outdoor walls and windows has the higher heat loss in the zone ... I alway recommend turning on the basement zone , The heat working its way up warms the floors ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hmmm. The basement? Check the language in your rental agreement.
    If by chance there is a valve on that radiator, you might shut it off.
    I understand your concern that you would like all the heat in the conditioned space but there is a reason the radiator was installed there.
    I would find out the reason why if any before doing anything else.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,714
    Options
    For what it's worth the cost to heat a building has absolutely nothing to do with the quantity of bedrooms.
    You could have a 3 bedroom 800sqft apartment or a 1 bedroom 2000 sqft apartment.

Also, most of the heat you put into a basement ends up in the building above it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Pick your battles ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Intplm.