Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nesbitt Blower Motor

Options
Mkowal5220
Mkowal5220 Member Posts: 9
I am doing some pro bono work for The Saint Lukes Center if Flint MI on their mechanical systems. One of the things they have me looking at are some Nesbitt units that need double shafted, long, 3/4" shaft blower motors blower motors. Unfortunately they are $1,000.00 a piece and I'm not coming up with any lower cost options. Has anyone ever came up with a lower cost conversion to something else that worked? This place is barely making it and I would like to try something to help them out.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    The few I have encountered had a run capacitor that failed.

Also some are 2 speed, maybe the connected speed is all that failed.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @Mkowal5220

I realize they are small motor but maybe a good motor shop could help you out. Probably cost more than it should but hopefully less than 1K
  • Mkowal5220
    Mkowal5220 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I opened up the capacitor cover to check and the wires all the way into the motor are broken and melted. The motor does run when I give it a shove and will start up again several time afterwards but once it sits it gets a little bit and then wont overcome that to start up. With the burn wires I wouldn't want to take a chance
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,937
    Options

I opened up the capacitor cover to check and the wires all the way into the motor are broken and melted. The motor does run when I give it a shove and will start up again several time afterwards but once it sits it gets a little bit and then wont overcome that to start up. With the burn wires I wouldn't want to take a chance

That sounds exactly like a capacitor problem. Can you get a replacement capacitor? Can you sleeve heat shrink insulation over the wire after you solder an extension wire on to the good part of the wire(s) entering the housing?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ScottSecor
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,070
    Options
    It sounds like the run cap is out of the circuit and needed to give it the starting push. (just like AC outdoor fan motors).

I have had old motors of that vintage with bad leads.

A small motor shop was able to put new leads on made it work.
    ScottSecor