Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bradford White Model MI5036FBN Hot Water Heater not heating

Options
dksagun
dksagun Member Posts: 6
Pilot light is on. Burner never ignites. Troubleshooting chart indicates Temperature Sensor Fault based on LED status. Based on this error condition, troubleshooting manual says temperature sensor or gas valve may be the problem. Is there anything else that could be causing this issue> Please advise on other troubleshooting steps I could perform to resolve this issue.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,928
    edited March 16
    Options
    It is possible that the water temperature was too high at some point in the operation of the water heater. If that happens then the programming of the control will lock out the gas valve and cause a 4 flash then a 3 second pause then 4 flash repeating error code. That code requires turning off the heater for 5 minutes, then following the lighting procedure to get the water heater operating again. Is that what is happening in your situation; a 4 flash error code?

If that is the case the first thing I would try is to lower the thermostat dial on the water heater by 5° F to see if the problem stops. If not, then lower the dial 5° more, still have the problem… Then replace the temperature sensor probe. I believe it just plugs into the control.

Here is the service manual for the water heater https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1269613234184/28334_PROD_FILE.pdf If that helps.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,320
    Options
    Hi, This may seem a silly thing to say, but I've seen it multiple times. Is the control knob in the correct position? I've had to make trips just to move the knob from pilot to on. ;)

Yours, Larry