Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lochinvar noble 199 boiler

Options
wildwillyjohn
wildwillyjohn Member Posts: 11
extremely high CO .Primary installer reconnected venting and gas line from utica ssc100 boiler.New boiler is 200k.
my LP supplier came out to tune service. Checked manual needs 3 inch venting,existing 2 inch N/A ,in manual. 
also 40 ft copper 1/2 inch gas line no go. I installed 3 inch venting and had another company install maxitrol regulator off of 2# pressure 3 feet from boiler.Tried to tune still 1500 ppm rise of CO.Hex cap screw over adjustment that is not to be touched and factory set was finger tight.Told me to get new gas regulator from original installer as looks as if all adjustments fudged.I looked at the bolt on orifice housing and says NAT GAS on it. there is a different number for propane orifice. think I found my problem?
Thanks
Billy in Duluth Mn

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Someone needs to read the manual more, especially NG to LP gas conversion.

Also location of regulator at boiler sounds too close.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That boiler requires the regulator to be 10 feet from the boiler. Maybe get yourself a different technician familiar with these boilers. What "orifice housing" are you referring to? There is no "orifice" to speak of with a Noble- the entire intake assembly needs to be swapped to convert. Was the unit converted or was it LP from the factory? The model number will end in "L" if propane and "N" if NG. NKC-199L, for example.

I would be willing to make a run to Duluth if necessary (Nobles are my main unit), otherwise I know a great technician in the Duluth area who would most likely be able to correct this for you.
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    thanks for the info.yes it's an NKC 199L
    I looked up the intake assembly that bolts onto the fan unit.Im calling the original installer back to get that propane assembly. My second guy,the regulator guy said get a new gas valve since it was maladjusted all over the place. It is very hard to get anyone who knows these hi efficiency boilers. Who do you recommend in duluth and where are you locsted
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options

• wildwillyjohn
    Options
    this is what's on there and the next the propane converdion.when I saw that I went and checked inside and sure enough mine said Nat Gas
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    installed 2 years ago....what a bunch of clowns
  • GroundUp
    Options
    I've responded to your PM via text message, but yes that is definitely the wrong venturi assembly for a propane unit. If it's a NKC-199L on the tag as you stated but has a NG venturi, either someone did a reverse conversion (I don't think they even make a kit like that) or somebody at the factory put the wrong tag on it. If it's been running 2 years with the wrong venturi, you've probably got bigger problems than just getting the correct venturi installed. This could be quite an undertaking
    GGross
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Once you get the conversion properly sorted, keep in mind that having only 3 feet of gas line between a regulator and this boiler is asking for trouble. Most every company that does make a recommendation on this, would recommend at least 10 feet of pipe. These units need a certain volume of gas on ignition to properly light off and sense flame at ignition. You may find it works OK, but if you start getting flame failure error codes (after the conversion is done properly) increase the volume of gas after that regulator
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    I see that groundup said that I checked the manual...sure enough.
    I thought maybe a 5ft 3/4 line ill put in myself..act as a fuel log. I actually had 2 fail to ignite when combi water heater mode kicks on from cold since it goes to 100% right away. it's on ODR  with sensor and it's warm so heat kicks on and runs at like 46%
    GGross
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    yup nat gas from the factory supposed to have bern converted before install.they could have never done a combustion analysis.  coming next week to convert it..
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    yea 10 feet 1/2 inch pipe =23.563 cubic inch
    5 feet 3/4 = 26.509
    that's what I'll do install 5 foot 3/4 like a dormont gas line
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 590
    Options
    So this happens ? Tech's shop needs an LP unit but only has NG , so they do the convert in the shop ?
    I think a good policy would be to have the tech do the convert on site, instead of some shop guy (who is possibly not a tech).

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    it's a small local hvac/plumbing buisiness owner his son maybe a helper and another guy. I'll be watching like a hawk.i could do it myself but I paid them 7k to do it
  • GroundUp
    Options
    You'd previously told us that it was an NKC-199L. A lot of headache could have been saved by double checking that 3 days ago when I asked for clarification, but I'm glad you got it figured out. I'd be pretty adamant that they perform a FULL service on the unit when they're doing the conversion as well (clean burner and HX, replace ignitor and seals, etc) both for free- since this was a huge mistake on their part
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    you are correct my bad and my apologies.hes only got a 2 hr window to change it over so I don't like that.
  • GroundUp
    Options
    He'd best make another window because the conversion alone is 2+ hours for an average tech, and those same parts need to be removed for a proper service.
  • wildwillyjohn
    Options
    it's converted now numbers back to reality. what ya'll think of outdoor rest with cast iron baseboards?
    it's disconnected now