Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Passing the trade on....

Options

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,994
    Options
    Young Billy reminds me of myself.  Works around the clock for his young family. Has 3 or 4 jobs. Teaching him the Plumbing and heating trade when when can connect. Funny enough, our grandfather's were well known and highly regarded Thoroughbred Horseman that worked together over 100 years ago. Our fathers worked together on the Racetrack, but I only met him a few months ago.  Told he did an outstanding job!  Mad Dog 🐕 
    bigbillynycCLambPeteATurbo Dave
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    We got Hundreds of years of Racetracker blood in us...Work 7 days, long hours, not always very good pay...That's why we're not on the track full time anymore.  Mad Dog 🐕 
    bigbillynyc
  • bigbillynyc
    bigbillynyc Member Posts: 4
    edited March 3
    Options
    Thanks Maddog!!! Always appreciate the kind words and patience! Great learning from one of the best. Picking up things quickly but there’s always something to learn.
    ***Added backwater valve, new home trap, reroute sanitary vent for home owners that had a flood in not so distant past. Mainline backed up into the home $$$$***
    Thought the analogy was good today, it’s like a doggie door that can only go one way. 
    Mad Dog_2PeteATurbo Dave
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    With a Bachelor's Degree in Interactive Multimedia from the College of New Jersey, My son worked for a publishing company on their web design team. After 2 years of that “office crap”, he came to work in the family business. I had him for 10 good years until my disability made me unable to work in the trade anymore. Now he is the best Oil Burner Technician in Cape May County NJ. and he doesn't even work in the trade anymore. He is a welder for an awning manufacturing company.

Oil Heat is his side hustle now.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Mad Dog_2MikeAmannCLambPC7060
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited March 4
    Options
    The Holohans spent many summers in Cape May in an Old Victorian.  Great inspiration for a great writer....Mad Dog 🐕 
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    I love all of this. Thanks, guys. 
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterManMad Dog_2Turbo Dave
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Very nice. I am concerned about the upper pipe draining in to a san tee though. Why not a sweep?
    Rick
    Mad Dog_2
  • PeteA
    PeteA Member Posts: 175
    Options

Very nice. I am concerned about the upper pipe draining in to a san tee though. Why not a sweep?
    Rick

I think he said that was the vent
    rick in Alaska
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Beautiful @Mad Dog_2 - does the AHJ require CI below grade in your area? I see plastic above grade. 

Thanks in advance!
  • Radiant23
    Radiant23 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Have 4 boys of my own, oldest is 14. Went to basketball games this morning for him at 8 and 9 AM, then we went to purge out a 30 zone house for a boiler replaced earlier in the week. I was flipping zone valves and valves off old onyx piping, he was picking up the pressure reducing valve, yelling “Zooming” when purge hose was pouring fast, or “ Brown, cloudy, clear” as the loop was being purged. One of the best days of work for me in my life, and he seemed so happy to help me. I want my sons to come on board, but always tell them only if they really like what the work is.
    Turbo DaveAlan (California Radiant) ForbesCLamb
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 603
    Options
    PC7060 said:

Beautiful @Mad Dog_2 - does the AHJ require CI below grade in your area? I see plastic above grade. 

Thanks in advance!
    It's CI painted white
    PC7060
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Nah Rick. That's the F.A I. (Fresh Air Inlet) always just upstream of the house trap.  Yes PVC is allowed underground in NY and in a tight budget job, running alot if  underground, I'll do it.  It tight quarters like this, it's not practical.  No-Hub is ideal. Unless budgets are extremely tight, I'm ALWAYS going to use the superior product. Evan if it comes out of my pocket. Mad Dog 🐕 
    Turbo Dave
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Nice work, I love seeing old school high quality work. The Art of Mechanical is alive still. I'm at the end of my run but will always admire good work even if it's from a lounge chair.
    Tim
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes