Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How often NTI combi boiler combustion chamber cleaning needed

Options
harry_fine
harry_fine Member Posts: 9
edited February 27 in Gas Heating
I have a new NTI combi boiler. It does heat and domestic hot water. Its at the one year old mark. Want to take care of it properly but don't want to spend money needlessly.

The opening up and cleaning of the combustion chamber and replacing igniter and gasket is an expensive job, i'm getting quotes for $650 Canadian. 

Is this really something you need to do annually in addition to the DHW descaling which is another $350?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,794
    Options
    With natural gas , I would say 5 years , more so for the igniters and sensors . The condensate neutralizer , you can change yourself with a bag of marble chips .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• harry_fine
    Options
    Thank you
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
    Options

I have a new NTI combi boiler. It does heat and domestic hot water. Its at the one year old mark. Want to take care of it properly but don't want to spend money needlessly.

The opening up and cleaning of the combustion chamber and replacing igniter and gasket is an expensive job, i'm getting quotes for $650 Canadian. 

Is this really something you need to do annually in addition to the DHW descaling which is another $350?

It depends on various factors..
    1. Combustion air contaminants such as Pollen and Dust from dirt roads/nearby construction sites/Highways can contaminate the heat exchanger very quick!
    2. Byproducts that are added to the Gas can contaminate the HX
    3. A boiler that was not adjusted can contaminate the HX with Carbon.
    A quick combustion test can reveal if the boiler is operating within specs.
    Descalding frequency also depends on the domestic water quality...Well or city water?
  • harry_fine
    Options
    City water in Toronto. Our water is generally considered soft. How are combustion tests done?
    hot_rod
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 840
    Options
    Combustion tests are done with a combustion analyzer and the mfg.'s specs.
    Derheatmeister