Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burner boiler issue

Options
my oil burner-boiler made a loud clanging sound and kept repeatedly igniting loudly.  the clanging was the flue damper door rapidly opening and closing i think.  after three episodes of this, seems to have stopped and working ok now.  wondering what the issue might have been with the clanging/refiring and whether i need to call in a tech?  or is it ok to let it be? thanks

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Seems like it was intermittently losing oil pressure but maintained before the safety kicked in.
    Yes, get it checked by a reliable oil heat company. 
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,974
    Options
    The barometric damper door counter weight was loose and possibly has fallen off?
  • naivehomeowner
    naivehomeowner Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Doesn’t look like anything fell off and now it seems to be working fine.  Would love to avoid a tech vi$it.  Could it have been a piece of debris in the ignition space that cause flame to go out and reignite repeatedly until debris burned up?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,974
    edited February 26
    Options
    The counter weight is small. A little smaller than a ping pong ball.Its like a small barrel shaped roller It would be screwed to a small post at about twelve o'clock on the damper door and
    would not appear to have fallen off.
    Look there. You might see a label in small writing saying vertical/horizontal.

If it did fall of it might be stuck closed and that would not be what is called working properly.
    reggi
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,868
    Options
    I vote for a few air pockets in the fuel line. The flame drops out and shortly reignites several times... that is several air pockets forming for some reason. Could you have been receiving a delivery of fuel oil at the time of the noisy occurrence?

If you experience this again in the near future, then you should most definitely get it looked at.

On the other hand, if it is a problem with something blocking the air flow or the ignition spark from reaching the fuel spray in the combustion chamber, then you may be making soot right now. That will end up being a real mess to clean up. Do you see any soot particles floating around? Or a light coating of black dust that smudges when you touch it? That is a reason to call for service ASAP

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Intplm.
  • naivehomeowner
    naivehomeowner Member Posts: 19
    Options
    No soot anywhere and burner seems to be working normally as before this episode, which is to say fires usually about 30 seconds to one minute although sometimes it will fire for about three seconds and then turn off (not sure if that is called ‘shortcycling’ or what).  Wasn’t receiving any oil at time but i like the idea it was air pockets somehow and so wont call tech quite yet. Thanks EdHeaterman, much appreciated