Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Follow-up to previous question on boiler repair / replacement / conversion

Options
PAOldHome
PAOldHome Member Posts: 7
First i wanted to thank the previous responses to the post I made asking about replacing radiators with mini-split of forced air . . . I think based on the history of the house (did some research) and our desire to keep it as close to original as possible, we are going to stay with the radiators.

Here is a question. It is currently setup as a duplex (split down the middle) and we are going to restore it to a single family home. We will be leaving the current tenants in through the end of the summer but not sure if the one furnace will last.

So the question is can we install a boiler that will support the full house on the one side now and when we convert it, remove the other boiler and connect the system over there as a separate zone coming off the one new furnace?

What is in place now is on its last legs and while the tenant adjusts things on it to keep it running (and has to refill it throughout the day due to a leak which we are having corrected before closing), it needs to be replaced. What is there now is shown in the attached photos.

Another question I had (sorry if this sounds basic) . . . can you tell from the photos if I am dealing with a hot water or steam system and what models you might recommend to replace what is there with?

Thanks again

Comments

• Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    PAOldHome said:

So the question is can we install a boiler that will support the full house on the one side now and when we convert it, remove the other boiler and connect the system over there as a separate zone coming off the one new furnace?

It would be better to install a single boiler for the entire house and correct whatever piping necessary at that time. To properly size a new boiler the radiators in the entire house will have to be measured to determine the total amount of radiation (EDR/square feet of steam) necessary for the boiler to produce to be most efficient.
    PAOldHome said:

Another question I had (sorry if this sounds basic) . . . can you tell from the photos if I am dealing with a hot water or steam system and what models you might recommend to replace what is there with?

That's a gas fired steam boiler. Recommending a replacement would require photos of the radiators and the current piping set up for us to estimate what size boiler you need and make recommendations based on that. Typically installers have their own preferred brands with various models falling within the radiation capacity necessary.

Take more photos, I think you may have a single pipe counter-flow steam system.

• Sylvain
    Sylvain Member Posts: 140
    Options
    I see a pipe which could be a return ( the pipe pitched downward which one can see above the DHW boiler - 4th picture).
    A picture at the back of the boiler would be useful.

This hose from the safety valve is not according to code and is a danger.
    It seems it regularly spits water on the ground which might be the sign of grossly over pressure (15 psi while the system should run below 2 psi).
    The water level seems obviously too low (altough the picture is not clear).

Is this your side or the tenants side boiler?
    Show both of them.

Three things I would do without any delay are
    - bringing the water level to the level indicated by the red lines on the sight level;
    - having the pigtail cleaned/replaced to ensure the proper functionning of the pressuretrol;
    - having the safety valve piped correctly [no diameter restriction - exhaust a few inches above ground] and tested.
    see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBypNhXDIJI

Then, verify if the system is loosing water (other than the possible abnormal opening of the safety valve due to overpressure). The ground seems to be wet.
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Could use more pictures of what's up by the ceiling as well what's behind the boiler (looks like a return along the wall).
    Same set of shots for the other boiler
    Picture of a sample radiator (if they're all the same style)
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.