Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Glowworm digital timer wiring

Options
Barneygoogle
Barneygoogle Member Posts: 4
Please see my pdf attached.

Comments

• pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 977
    Options
    You need another wire if the voltage is different than the coil voltage. if i looked at the control correctly the coil is rated for 24 volts DC. if what you are switching is 24 volts DC then you jumper from the 24 volt feed to the #5 common terminal. but if what your switching is a different voltage than what you need a 4TH wire will be necessary.

You really should be able to do a jumper because if the old one was mechanical then it basically just had an internal jumper. And this is suppose to be the compatible upgraded from the manufacturer, correct?
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 420
    Options
    Easy way to find out, would be to remove the black wire lug from the timer and touching it to the lug on the red wire and see if radiator supply comes on. If not, try touching the black wire lug to the blue lug and see if that works. Of course, be careful, although it's only 24 volts it is electricity and there could be some minor sparking, etc. Also be careful not to short the blue and red wires.

Say it works from when you connected the black to the red then you would need to jumper from the red to 2 and to 5 on the timer. If it worked when the black lug touched the blue lug then you'd jumper from 1 to 5.

The easiest and cleanest way to make the jumper would be to add another spade lug and splice it to the appropriate (red or blue) wire using a Wago 3x connector (https://a.co/d/3xCaLZS). Or run another wire from 5 to where ever the red or blue feed from, provided it allows for multiple connections.
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • Barneygoogle
    Options
    Thank you Wire Nut,
    That is just the advice I needed. I'm away from home for a couple of days, but will certainly do as you suggest, on my return. Thanks again. I shall let you know how I get on.
    Cheers,
    Barneygoogle
  • Barneygoogle
    Options
    Oh and thank you too Pedmec. I shall be following this advice soon. Cheers, Barneygoogle
  • Barneygoogle
    Options
    Hi, unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried with the boiler set to heating off. Nothing. Then with the heating set to on. I touched the black wire to the blue (terminal 1) nothing. Then I attached the black to the brown (terminal 2) although the clock light showed on when "on" selected on the timer, the only difference (when I touched the black to the brown) was that the radiator flashing (drawing heat) still displayed, but stopped flashing.
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    edited March 2
    Options
    Hello @Barneygoogle,
    I'm assuming the old timer connected 2 to 3 when the timer's internal switch is On or Closed. But the label is kind of vague. So with the new timer I believe you would need a jumper from 2 to 5. If this does not work maybe the issue is actually elsewhere.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System