Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Really noisy LP regulator- safe?

Options
joncroteau
joncroteau Member Posts: 26
edited February 20 in Gas Heating
Hello- I have a noisey second- stage LP regulator on the side of my house. This is a new issue I just noticed. It rumbles really loudly when the boiler is on.  I had the gas company out last week to adjust the regulator to get 12.8wc at the boiler. It was previously at 10.8 and was (in theory) giving me an issue with ignition. I called them just now and they said they could come out and replace the regulator but that it’s not a safety issue and shouldn’t affect operation. Any thoughts on whether this is ok to leave for the rest of the heating season? 

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options
    A noise not heard from here is very hard to diagnose. Is it safe? That's up to the installer to hopefully help with.
    As to the noise. I would ask you, is the regulator outside? Is the regulator freezing causing the noise?
    If it is in cold area try insulating it from the cold without blocking its air vent.
    If not, stick with your installers advice and/or get a second opinion. One that can hear the noise.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited February 20
    Options
    Noise is usually vibration, variable gas pressures. I would check the primary reg on the tank. What is the manifold pressure at the boiler when it is running. I would put a sensitive gauge on the input and the manifold side of the boiler gas valve and while it is running look for pressure changes. Might do that for the house reg, too.
  • joncroteau
    Options
    Intplm. said:
    A noise not heard from here is very hard to diagnose. Is it safe? That's up to the installer to hopefully help with. As to the noise. I would ask you, is the regulator outside? Is the regulator freezing causing the noise? If it is in cold area try insulating it from the cold without blocking its air vent. If not, stick with your installers advice and/or get a second opinion. One that can hear the noise.
    Thanks. I have a video but can’t post it. It’s on a sunny, west side of the exterior house and it’s not freezing. Just wondering if installers/techs have encountered it before. HomerJSmith said:
    Noise is usually vibration, variable gas pressures. I would check the primary reg on the tank. What is the manifold pressure at the boiler when it is running. I would put a sensitive gauge on the input and the manifold side of the boiler gas valve and while it is running look for pressure changes. Might do that for the house reg, too.
    The primary reg was just changed two weeks ago due to freezing up and some blockages in it. The issue is that my gas company doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem. 
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,448
    edited February 20
    Options
    Take a hair dryer or heat gun and warm up the house reg and see if the noise goes away. There isn't supposed to be any moisture in propane. How cold was it outside? There wasn't any build up of snow on any of the regs was there.
  • joncroteau
    Options
    Take a hair dryer or heat gun and warm up the house reg and see if the noise goes away. There isn't supposed to be any moisture in propane. How cold was it outside? There wasn't any build up of snow on any of the regs was there.
    It was relatively warm this afternoon (about 40f and full sun). No snow around the regulators. Wondering if the hvac tech turning the gas pressure up last week could have something to do with it.