Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flow sight for radiator return?

Options
ariccio
ariccio Member Posts: 52
I have seen these on McMaster-carr for a long time:
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/flow-sights/high-temperature-flow-sights-for-water-and-oil/
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/flow-sights/compact-flow-sights-for-water-and-oil-8/

...and have been wondering, are they the kind of thing that would survive long term on a radiator trap outlet? I'm sure they'd work at least for a while, but I can find no talk of anybody ever using them. For all I know, the constant steam hammer would shatter them.

My thinking is that some of the steam traps deniers I know might finally be able to understand the concept of a "failed open" steam trap once they can actually see the steam blasting through!

Comments

• Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Temp. Range, °F -0° to 180° Max. Pressure 270 psi @ 150° F for the 1" brass doesn't seem like it would last very long with 212-215F steam and condensate slightly cooler than that coming into contact/close proximity to it for too long.

There are a few people on the forum which have installed in line glass pipe sight glasses on their boiler headers with special stainless steel housings meant specifically for use on high temperature steam. That type of fitting would be a better option than using something not rated for the high temperatures.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    It is not needed , who would want to pay for it ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    My boiler is not steam but I have a few of these type. 120 psi, 300F rating.
    You can get them as small as 19mm
    I buy glass tube in 36” lengths and cut it to make the dimension I need.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    edited February 20
    Options
    I would keep an eye on them but I think they would work fine, especially the one with the round piece of glass.

Whether or not you'd be able to see steam inside a pipe is another question. Until it condenses to water vapor it is a colorless gas.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Maybe figure out how to put a sight glass in a trap cover but still hold the innards in the right plae. or maybe machine and polish a cover out of acrylic or polycarbonate.
  • Sylvain
    Sylvain Member Posts: 144
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Whether or not you'd be able to see steam inside a pipe is another question. Until it condenses to water vapor it is a colorless gas.

Ethicalpaul has a video where he has put a DIY little propeller in a sight glass of the type proposed by hot_rod (but a larger diameter).
    It it turns when there is a flow. One of course has to ensure this propeller stays in the limits of the sight glass.
    ariccio