Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator only making racket at night

Options
mob1345
mob1345 Member Posts: 3
I live in an old apartment build in the 5th floor one floor below the top. My landlord keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my radiator they have inspected it 4 times but issues persist and they won't try to find out the cause. Mostly in the middle of the night my one radiator bangs like heck wakes everyone up in my apartmentand the apartments around me . But this only.happens a few.nights during the week not every night.what I noticed is on the nights it happens the steam seems to come up with great intensity that air valve on the side is hissing like heck  then it suddenly stops and the radiator starts banging like hell . But on nights when it doesn't bang you don't hear that strong hissing sometimes you don't hear it at all but the radiator get.hot . 
 Another thing I noticed is this is more likely to happen on a much colder night. Last night it wasn't as cold and the radiator  was OK but tonight windchill is around 19 and the radiator  started this is at 2:30 am  sometimes this can go on for nights in a row and sometime multiple  times during the night and you keep getting woken up .Help

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    Is the radiator valve fully open?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Some picture of the radiator will help. We want to see the piping.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab