Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel Consumption with brand new Lochinvar Noble Combi Unit

Options
Smith19
Smith19 Member Posts: 108
Hello Everyone -
since April I have been living in a new construction standalone apartment in Massachusetts. It was finished in 2022 and is insulated like crazy; the walls, attic, and floors are packed with foam. The heat is a single hydronic baseboard zone running off of a Lochinvar Noble combi boiler, which burns Propane. The propane tank is 100 gallons.

Aside from the boiler, the gas range/oven in the kitchen is the only other appliances that burns propane. This is my first time heating with propane, and my first winter in the place, and I've totally run clean out of propane twice. I'm amazed at how much this boiler is consuming. I am filling the tank every three weeks and it's just too expensive. A few questions:

Do these boilers have issues with their burners? I've seen them installed everywhere and have heard only good things. This unit has also locked out four times this winter for a variety of reasons: low water pressure, not enough oxygen, low gas pressure, and return water temp. being too high.

I can't imagine that I'm really using this much propane in such a small, well insulated space. There is a chance that the unit is meant to burn gas but was never converted to propane. I say this because the landlord told me that the stove wasn't converted to burn propane, and I've noticed.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,365
    edited February 8
    Options
    You really need to get a technician in there who knows and understands Lochinvar boilers to ensure that it was properly set up for propane and that ll the combustion adjustments were checked -- with instruments -- and adjusted to be correct.

Sounds to me as though if that were done -- and i have my doubts -- it wasn't done right.

If you are responsible for the fuel, you may be able to bypass your landlord. Maybe not.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MaxMercy
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 978
    Options
    Should be green sticker from lochinvar indicating it was changed to propane. when you swap the natural gas venturi to a propane venturi you're supposed to put the sticker on the front cover. my experience when you run with propane on a natural gas venturi it will rumble. Only had this situation once
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Typically they only fill tanks to 80%, so you need to go by the meter reading that they leave to get an actual consumption
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Smith19
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Typically they only fill tanks to 80%, so you need to go by the meter reading that they leave to get an actual consumption

I did notice this. They filled mine to 70% and charged for 80%, but confirmed an order of 100 gallons. Which I paid for. I've heard that the 80% rule really only applies during warmer months and is hyperbolized in the winter.
  • yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 157
    Options
    More than likely you have a 120 gallon propane tank, not 100 gallon. An 80% fill on a 120 is 100 gallons. How big is the apartment? What temperature do you keep the apartment? Do you do a lot of cooking? Do you use a lot of hot water? The fact that you 've had so many issues with the boiler already leads me to think it may also be grossly oversized or not set up to run such a small load. Your usage is 5 gallons a day for heat, hot water and cooking if you are truly emptying the tank every 3 weeks. That seems like it is a little high, but not grossly high consumption.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    How much baseboard is in the home and how many sq feet? What is the operating temperature? Does it have the outdoor sensor connected?
    Was a heatloss done to start with?

• Smith19
    Options
    yellowdog said:

More than likely you have a 120 gallon propane tank, not 100 gallon. An 80% fill on a 120 is 100 gallons. How big is the apartment? What temperature do you keep the apartment? Do you do a lot of cooking? Do you use a lot of hot water? The fact that you 've had so many issues with the boiler already leads me to think it may also be grossly oversized or not set up to run such a small load. Your usage is 5 gallons a day for heat, hot water and cooking if you are truly emptying the tank every 3 weeks. That seems like it is a little high, but not grossly high consumption.

The plaque on the tank seems to note 120 gallons - you are correct. As mentioned, the apartment is little north of 500 square feet. I do most of my own cooking and know that gas ovens are not terribly efficient. (I have no idea why they're so popular around here, most new builds seem to have them).

Since the apartment is only 520 or so square feet, I am fairly certain that the boiler is oversized. How can that be addressed? The landlord's plumber friend installed it and he doesn't want it touched by anyone else.

• Smith19
    Options
    kcopp said:

How much baseboard is in the home and how many sq feet? What is the operating temperature? Does it have the outdoor sensor connected?
    Was a heatloss done to start with?

I have 34.5 linear feet of convector as mentioned in a 520 square foot (approx) apartment. Aquastat set at 145. Since I wasn't around when it was installed, I have no clue if they did a heat loss, which seems very standard to do. There is no outdoor reset.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    Smith19 said:

Since the apartment is only 520 or so square feet, I am fairly certain that the boiler is oversized. How can that be addressed? The landlord's plumber friend installed it and he doesn't want it touched by anyone else.

Not much you can do about it.

Ask the landlord if it's OK to bring someone else in but he can say NO!
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,868
    Options
    Combis often end up massively oversized for heating, which is what’s happened here. You can ask for a lower set point to get more condensing. An outdoor reset would also accomplish the same thing but wouldn’t be free. There are some other settings which deal with short cycling if they’ll let you change those. 
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,918
    Options
    Your emitter is only capable of putting out about 13,000 BTU so if the boiler is anything but a 110k, it's short cycling with every call for heat. It's grossly oversized for the heating regardless, but if it's a 150k or 199k it's short cycling which beats the heck out of the boiler and the efficiency. The model number inside the right side panel will designate whether or not it was an LP unit from the factory (for example, NKC-110L would be LP or NKC-110N would be NG) and if it was NG, there should be a red sticker somewhere on the unit stating that it was converted to LP gas. I'd be pretty skeptical of this particular boiler running at all on propane if it was set up for NG. With that said, your hot water usage plays a huge role here. One 10 minute shower per day at 110 degrees may very well take half a gallon by itself, plus whatever other usage you've got. Either way, some homework needs to be done here to figure out which unit you actually have and whether or not there was a combustion analysis completed
  • Smith19
    Options

Combis often end up massively oversized for heating, which is what’s happened here. You can ask for a lower set point to get more condensing. An outdoor reset would also accomplish the same thing but wouldn’t be free. There are some other settings which deal with short cycling if they’ll let you change those. 

Wouldn't a lower set point just result in convectors not heating up as much? That has already been an issue as it is, it can take ages for the place to warm up to the thermostat set point in the morning.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    Something does not add up. You say there is tons of spray foam but you also say it takes forever to heat up....
    Are you doing a large set back at night?
    I would get the outdoor sensor installed and make some adjustments. The sensor should have been installed from the start.

Hot_water_fan
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,868
    Options
    Wouldn't a lower set point just result in convectors not heating up as much? That has already been an issue as it is, it can take ages for the place to warm up to the thermostat set point in the morning.

Depends on how it's operated. A steep setback with undersized baseboard with obstructed airflow? It'll take some time. How long is "ages" and what's the setback?

But in general, the hotter the water the higher your bill. Around 120F is where you want your return temps.
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    Just some quick figuring. 34.5 feet of baseboard at 1 GPM with 140 average water temp gives you 11,040 btu/hr, that would give you 21 btu per square foot, a standard guesstimate for a decently insulated structure, on the coldest day of the year is 20 btu per square foot (that is only a guess!) and that is normally higher than what is needed, and is definitely higher that what is needed the rest of the year except the coldest day of the year. I am thinking that you have something else going on here, whether it be a lack of insulation, maybe some cabinet only baseboard sections, low or no flow (which would make the excess fuel usage even more questionable) very high ceilings with tons of glass, or that boiler is heating another space as well.

• Smith19
    Options
    GGross said:

Just some quick figuring. 34.5 feet of baseboard at 1 GPM with 140 average water temp gives you 11,040 btu/hr, that would give you 21 btu per square foot, a standard guesstimate for a decently insulated structure, on the coldest day of the year is 20 btu per square foot (that is only a guess!) and that is normally higher than what is needed, and is definitely higher that what is needed the rest of the year except the coldest day of the year. I am thinking that you have something else going on here, whether it be a lack of insulation, maybe some cabinet only baseboard sections, low or no flow (which would make the excess fuel usage even more questionable) very high ceilings with tons of glass, or that boiler is heating another space as well.

All ceilings are 7' 8", no sections of baseboard are obstructed. I have been told that everything is packed with spray foam, and I've seen it in the attic - but I do live over the garage so it's hard to say. The boiler is only heating my space.

• Smith19
    Options
    GroundUp said:

Your emitter is only capable of putting out about 13,000 BTU so if the boiler is anything but a 110k, it's short cycling with every call for heat. It's grossly oversized for the heating regardless, but if it's a 150k or 199k it's short cycling which beats the heck out of the boiler and the efficiency. The model number inside the right side panel will designate whether or not it was an LP unit from the factory (for example, NKC-110L would be LP or NKC-110N would be NG) and if it was NG, there should be a red sticker somewhere on the unit stating that it was converted to LP gas. I'd be pretty skeptical of this particular boiler running at all on propane if it was set up for NG. With that said, your hot water usage plays a huge role here. One 10 minute shower per day at 110 degrees may very well take half a gallon by itself, plus whatever other usage you've got. Either way, some homework needs to be done here to figure out which unit you actually have and whether or not there was a combustion analysis completed

I doubt proper setup was done with this unit. And the landlord simply will not allow it to be looked at, which screws me on the fuel bill. He says a friend of his - who's a plumber and the town plumbing inspector - installed it, so he has total confidence. In terms of showers, the mixing valve has to be cranked all the way hot to get hot enough water, another clue of how the boiler may be cycling.

Mosherd1
  • jimna01
    jimna01 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    I will let the heating experts comment on the heat demand and boiler issues but if the range is properly converted to propane it is not responsible for your gas usage unless you are using the oven for hours a day. I own a six burner gas cooktop which has three burners way more powerful than the apartment stoves (a 13.000, 19,000 and 22,000 BTU burners). I cook a lot including hi temp wok cooking and meat searing. I burn about 35 gallons of propane per year. and the cooktop is the only gas appliance Mine is dual fuel which means the oven is electric.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Smith19 said:

GroundUp said:

I doubt proper setup was done with this unit. And the landlord simply will not allow it to be looked at, which screws me on the fuel bill. He says a friend of his - who's a plumber and the town plumbing inspector - installed it, so he has total confidence. In terms of showers, the mixing valve has to be cranked all the way hot to get hot enough water, another clue of how the boiler may be cycling.

That kind of thing should be (and, in fact is) illegal. Not much you can do about it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Has someone enabled all the settings to make the boiler better fit your situation? I would clamp down the SH setting to limit the boiler to 15 K or so.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • GroundUp
    edited February 9
    Options
    If you need to crank the mixing valve, the DHW temp simply needs to be turned up in the boiler control. It takes 5 seconds to do. I will ask again, what model is this boiler?
  • Smith19
    Options
    GroundUp said:

If you need to crank the mixing valve, the DHW temp simply needs to be turned up in the boiler control. It takes 5 seconds to do. I will ask again, what model is this boiler?

Tenant isn't allowed to touch any of that stuff, so unless a tech comes, the cover is staying on.

The convectors will get warm, but never hot.
  • GroundUp
    Options
    So what's the reason for the post if you aren't going to do anything about it? We can't help you if you won't help yourself.
    Hot_water_fan
  • pedmec
    Options
    you sure your not heating other apartments with your boiler? you said stand alone so you have just one house? a 500 sq ft house?
  • Smith19
    Options
    pedmec said:

you sure your not heating other apartments with your boiler? you said stand alone so you have just one house? a 500 sq ft house?

The apartment is over an unheated garage, and unless there's a pipe trench to another building, I'm not heating anything else.
  • GGross
    Options
    Are you able to take a few pictures of the installation? wide framed so we can see as much as possible
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    Over a garage is always an issue. Most garage doors leak air like crazy
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    The floor between the apartment and garage must be spray foamed. 
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Smith19 said:

since April I have been living in a new construction standalone apartment in Massachusetts. It was finished in 2022 and is insulated like crazy; the walls, attic, and floors are packed with foam.

Do you know the square footage?
    Smith19 said:

I'm amazed at how much this boiler is consuming. I am filling the tank every three weeks and it's just too expensive.

Propane has about 40 percent less BTU per gallon than heating oil if that's what you are comparing it to, so expect to use 40 percent more propane than oil.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Propane in New England is almost always more expensive than oil -- sometimes a LOT more expensive.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    MaxMercy
  • Smith19
    Options
    GGross said:

Are you able to take a few pictures of the installation? wide framed so we can see as much as possible

Yes - I can get these tomorrow.

• Smith19
    Options
    pecmsg said:

The floor between the apartment and garage must be spray foamed. 

Floor box is 12" TJI PACKED with foam.
  • Smith19
    edited February 28
    Options
    Everyone, here is the system. Filled propane tank yesterday but was locked out today, this time on low water pressure again. System was installed by the former town plumbing inspector, but seeing his work, my confidence is low. As the readout says, there is no outside reset, and I don't think this unit is setup for propane.

• hot_rod
    Options
    you need to have a gas pressure gauge connected as it fires and runs.

It comes with a LP conversion kit, was it installed?

Combustion analyzer used, where is the readout?

That gas flex could be an issue also. I prefer the 3/4” size
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    GGross
  • GGross
    Options
    If it is continually locking out on low water pressure, and the fill valve is then refilling the unit, the installer must come back and find the leaks and repair them. Let your landlord know that the leak, and then refilling of this unit will turn a 20 year appliance into a 5-10 year appliance, and that is disregarding the obvious possibility of water damage if the leak is severe and concealed, and ignoring the loss of comfort due to the boiler locking out, as well as the safety hazard of an appliance being left to knowingly run all the way to a low water condition.
  • GroundUp
    Options
    hot_rod said:

you need to have a gas pressure gauge connected as it fires and runs.

It comes with a LP conversion kit, was it installed?

Combustion analyzer used, where is the readout?

That gas flex could be an issue also. I prefer the 3/4” size

The Noble does NOT come with an LP conversion kit.
  • GroundUp
    Options
    For the 3rd time, what model is this boiler? What EXACTLY does the lockout message say? There are several different "low water" derivatives so without the exact message, nobody can help you. Likewise, without the model number, nobody can help you.
  • hot_rod
    edited February 29
    Options

Any parts like this lying around? Also there is a sticker to apply when the unit has been converted to LP.

Does the manufacturers tag indicate LP or propane? It may have shipped as LP ready.

You need to know if it is LP converted, or you may damage components.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Smith19
    Options
    I will ask the landlord if I can remove the cover and get the serial number.

I'm confused about the green LP sticker. If it's missing, it likely hasn't been converted? Is this boiler offered with the option of an LP conversion or not?
  • pedmec
    Options
    the orange sticker on the side is the sticker indicating this model is using propane. sorry i thought it was green.
    GGross