Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which TACO circulator please

Options
adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Hey all, planning ahead, which TACO circulator is appropriate for a SMART 50 indirect tied to an INSTINCT 155?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,904
    edited February 4
    Options
    OOPPSss

I looked at the wrong diagram and thought the INSTINCT 155 was a water heater

turns out it IS a boiler

So you are going to use a Tankless water to heat up a tank of hot water. Interesting.

I this the best option?

Will you be using the coil in the indirect as a closed system and the tankless water heater for the source of the heat? That may not be the best use of that equipment.

Are you going to use the tankless INSTINCT 155 as the cold water preheater and then circulate the potable water from the tank back to the cold inlet of the INSTINCT 155? Then you don't need an indirect, just a storage tank.

I believe there may be a better way. Unless you already own the SMART 50 and the INSTINCT 155, or you are getting them for a really good price.

More information please. What is your DHW requirements: Residential with many bathrooms, a commercial enterprise where you provide showers for your customers, or You are raising 12 teenage girls and you can never get a hot shower yourself?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    The Instinct has its own pump, so you're only concerned with the pressure drop through the SMART 50 indirect and associated piping as long as you pipe it properly (primary-secondary piping). TT literature says, "Lowest Pressure Drop in the Industry", but I sure can't find any pressure drop ratings in their literature. Maybe someone else can.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Based on the BTU output of that boiler, if you use the Primary Secondary piping design where the boiler pump feeds a primary loop that is connected to the radiators like this, you will need to size that pump based on the Pump Head and GPM requirements for the system.

You can find some helpful info on selecting that pump in this booklet on page 8

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/108119-Reference Guide.pdf

For the pump to the indirect, you may find that a Taco 007F5, B&G NRF 22 or Grundfos UPS 15-42 may be all you need if the tank is close to the boiler and you use larger diameter pipes to reduce the friction.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Thank you both ;) I guess I should have specified: I'm going to pipe the boiler P/S. So there will be two additional circulators, one dedicated to heating my home via three zone valves and a second one dedicated to the SMART 50. Was wondering which TACO circulator would be appropriate for the SMART 50?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited February 5
    Options
    I think Taco 007F5 is sufficient, and you will need a FloCheck for that zone. So the Taco 007F5-7 IFC might be in order.

Edward Young Retired

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,191
    Options
    I might suggest a 3 speed, Grundfos 15-58 or equal. That give you some adjustability
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan