Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EK 1 Combustion chamber

Options
Bozcrabber
Bozcrabber Member Posts: 1
I have an 8 year old EK 1 oil boiler which was recently serviced. The tech pulled out the white combustion chamber which I immediately thought should not have been done and was confirmed after reading Energy Kinetic's 2 page instruction sheet on Annual Tune Up... What should I look out for? Should it be replaced? Lastly where can I buy the test tools shown in a side photo on the aforementioned sheet? Thanks for info

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,843
    Options
    It was removed but not put back?
    No, it shouldn't need to be removed for normal cleaning. 
    The only way to run it without the chamber is when it's down fired. And that's only temporary if a new chamber needs to be ordered. 

The side photo is of a combustion analyzer. You could shop online. There's a thread here if you search on different brands. Pros and cons, etc. But you'll need a lot more than that if you're looking to tackle this yourself. 
    The tube with the loop you can get from EK for over fire testing.
  • hilltown
    hilltown Member Posts: 18
    Options
    If you have the Frontier model than yes you can remove the chamber when doing the annual tuneup?
    Did the front piece with the burner attach fold down? That is the Frontier model….or did the yellow panel on the back side opposite the burner come off? That would be the one where you need to be careful doing the tune up..
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 333
    Options
    @Bozcrabber , as you noted, the chamber should not have been removed. Hopefully it was not damaged and it was reinstalled properly.  It is easy to clean around the boiler without removing the chamber. If the boiler is properly set up, you’ll likely be fine.  The next time it’s serviced, the chamber should be inspected to make sure that it is not cracked or broken. It is normal for the chamber to get very small hairline crazes, but those will not cause a structural problem.  Since you saw the tech working on the chamber, maybe you already have an idea if it was put back in without being damaged - I can’t imagine that a tech would reinstall a damaged chamber. You could call the service company back to open the front door to look at it to make sure that it is OK if you have a concern. 
    I hope that helps guide you.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Erin Holohan Haskell