Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please explain Ball Valve with Boiler Drain

josephny
josephny Member Posts: 273

I looked at the documentation, but I think my question is too basic for the authors to have thought anyone would ask....

I have a bunch of Webstone H-50613 ball valves with boiler drains.

I understand the main ball valve part of it (opens and closed flow between the two ports of the valve).

My confusion starts with the boiler drain port. There is a valve on the boiler drain port (so that's clear).

What I don't understand is the interaction between the two valves. That is, if the main ball valve is closed and the boiler drain valve is open, what is the origin of the liquid flowing out from the drain port? Does the fluid come from one or both of the main ports (if only one, which one)?

Likewise, if the main ball valve is open and the boiler drain valve is open, what is the source of the liquid?

I google for a cross section or animation, but couldn't find.

Thank you.

Comments

• yellowdog
    yellowdog Member Posts: 163
    look inside the valve and turn the handle to see what is happening in different positions. now look at the picture on the handle to see the flow directions. it should all make sense. you can also remove the handle and turn the ball so it will purge from the opposite direction. that is why there is a sticker included with the valve.
    josephny
  • josephny
    Wow!

I am so glad I asked this and so appreciative of the answers.

(I'm also relieved that my question wasn't as stupid as I thought it could be.)

Thank you.
    GGross
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,586
    There are no stupid questions. We all began at the beginning. Thank you for asking.
    Retired and loving it.
    josephnyErin Holohan HaskellLarry WeingartenEdTheHeaterMan
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 2,034
    I use these valves often for expansion tank isolation. In the event that the tank fails, one can close the main handle and isolate the tank from the system. Then a hose can be hooked to the drain to relieve most if not all of the pressure in the tank to minimize spillage. I've used them for other applications as well, but I've always got a handful of them on the truck. Great idea on Webstone's part, IMO.
    josephny
  • josephny

There are no stupid questions. We all began at the beginning. Thank you for asking.

Thank you.

Loved your book -- changed my life (well, at least taught me super cool things)!
    Erin Holohan HaskellEdTheHeaterMan
  • Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter Member Posts: 65
    I see the subject has been very well covered by my fellow readers. if you're looking at a valve that is already installed.. I believe webstone has always stamped a T or an L ( Depending on the valve) at the top of the ball valve stem to indicate which way the holes are facing in the ball.