Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth tank

Options
Miata
Miata Member Posts: 17
I have a 275 gallon Roth oil tank installed outside my home. There is no fuel shutoff outside. Inside there is the firematic valve, then the filter and then burner. It is a one pipe system. I have researched osv valves because I believe that if the fuel line from a top fuel line tank is broken, then the line will siphon out the oil. The height of the tank if about 5 ft and the drop inside to burneris another5 ft. So the total draw is about 10 feet. All osvs that I have found except for two say to install with 3 feet of the burner. The Becket Tigerstop doesn't require a Tigerloop as does the other osv but I called Beckett and their suggested distributers are of no help. Anyone know where to purchase, reviews, or other suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 590
    Options
    3 feet above the lowest point of the line.
    More than that, and the vacuum of the oil flowing out could open up the OSV anyhow.
    (the osv would think that the burner is on)

Could a person put more than one osv, each at max 3ft elevation from the next ?
    That in itself would introduce more failure points of course.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited January 22
    Options
    According to Webster, putting multiple OSV in series is not recommended

Illustration from this document https://www.sidharvey.com/documents/UNI-00915_Spec.pdf

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    edited January 23
    Options
    The Beckett Tiger stop is what you need. It says it is good for up to 13 feet. It is sold as an antisiphon valve which is what you need.

Just Google Beckett Tiger Stop. it will come up on a page and you can search for your local Beckett distributor. It also has the part/model #
  • Miata
    Options
    Thank you. My problem is that I have called various distributers on Becketts website and they dismiss me with "I don't carry it" and refer me to another. Has anyone found someone who has it in stock?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Miata contact beckett they should know the distributors who are buying them. Any Beckett distributor can order you one. try Supply House.com
    MikeAmann
  • Miata
    Options
    I did contact Supply House. Very nice person there, but was told we don't carry nor can order that part. Texted Patriot and received a reply. Product is out of stock but will arrive at their store in 2 weeks, then shipped to me. What is amazing is Beckett lists 5 dealers near me and none carries the part. Seems like this is costing them business. Thanks for all the replys.
  • PatN
    PatN Member Posts: 19
    Options
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    Anything from Preferred is going to cost a fortune. They make good stuff but its for industrial use.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options

Anything from Preferred is going to cost a fortune. They make good stuff but its for industrial use.

Anything from inside the tank is going to cost a fortune if it sinks into the ground. Preferred make good stuff but its for industrial use, so pick your poison.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Fauzit
    Fauzit Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I purchased a few from Sid Harvey's. Try them.