Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zurn Pex Performa Hydronic Barrier Tubing for DHW?

Options
FredoSP
FredoSP Member Posts: 90
Hello All,

I have a real simple question, or so I think. I was planning on purchasing more 3/4" Zurn Pex to keep everything uniform in my basement. While I was researching where to purchase this particular Pex, I kept coming across descriptions where this specific Pex that I currently have install on my domestic water lines is really made for radiant floor heat and snow melt applications. This was installed by a licensed plumber in my area and we've been using it for the past seven years now with no issues. A couple of my copper pipes were removed because of pinehole leaks and this was put in as the replacement. I wanted to double check with the experts that this is safe for DHW. I could be overthinking it but Id rather be safe. Thank you.

Below is a link to the manufactures website:

https://zurn.com/products/pex-cross-linked-polyethylene/radiant-heating-snow-melting-turf-conditioning/barrier-tubing/performa-barrier-tubing/qhr_pc____fx

Images of the 3/4" Zurn Pex I currently have in my basement for DHW.

Long Island, NY

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,321
    Options
    Hi, I find this: "Most oxygen-barrier PEX does not have the appropriate approval codes for use with potable water and should not be installed in domestic plumbing applications. Uponor’s hePEX recently received NSF approval, making it one of the few types of oxygen-barrier PEX on the market that can also handle domestic water." ... So, although it's not approved, it could be safe. I think I'd ask the question directly of Zurn. In the link you posted, Zurn does say that the EVOH barrier is applied to the outside of the tube, so there is not much chance of it leaching something into the water.

Yours, Larry
    FredoSP
  • FredoSP
    Options
    Thank you Larry. That was going to be my next step depending upon the responses I received. Worst case I rip it out and install some Type L. Its probably 20-25 feet in total .. add it to the project list.
    Long Island, NY
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,215
    Options
    I think it comes down to the manufacturer wanting to pay the $$$ for the additional 

allegedly one the pex brands with the highest CL rating is suffering breakdown in high chlorine installations, within the design guidelines.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    FredoSPGGross
  • Teemok
    Teemok Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 500
    Options
    The link you gave is for a different, current 2023 model number that has the NSF 14 listing printed on it. The 2016 stuff you have might be identical but like said above it was just not approved yet.
    kcoppFredoSP
  • FredoSP
    Options
    Hi All,

As promised, I reached out to Zurn today via their contact form. I must say that I'm impressed on how quickly I received a response. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

Below is a copy+paste of what my response was. Even after the initial response from Zurn, I replied again with the same images as I posted here just to be 110% sure and the answer was still the same.

You are correct. That pipe is for use hydronic heating applications such as Radiant Floor Heat
    and Snow melt. It's not for use for potable water applications.

Best Regards,

Vince Boni
    Application Engineer II
    1801 Pittsburgh Avenue, Erie, PA 16502

Long Island, NY
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    You might consider having your water tested for minerals, pH, chlorides (chlorine) and a few other things to be sure it's safe to drink and good to your pipes. Absolutely worth the cost. Then you'll know.
    Then let us know.