Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco zone controller and zone valves / want to use Honeywell full port valve - can I?

Options
gator
gator Member Posts: 10
edited January 20 in Oil Heating
Hi again. 
So same project, mother n laws. 
I’ve done the inner liner, filtered all the fluid thru nibco (webstone) magnetic filter and particulate filter with really amazing results, new fuel pump, cleaned the heat exchanger very well, re-soldered some leaky joints and put a day tank in the boiler room to keep the oil from coming in at -15 or -25 degrees strait to the nozzle. 

So, I’m backing my way out hitting final details. I have two leaky zone valves. The taco valve body rebuild kits are outrageous expensive. You can buy the whole thing power head and all cheaper than the rebuild kit. 

With all that said - I’d like to use the Honeywell full port zone valve Model: V8043F1036. Will I run into any issues switching to that valve? I know the controller isn’t as smart as it appears it’s just putting out 24v and handling the communication that the end switch is engaged right? So does it really care if it’s a Honeywell or taco that it’s communicating with ? 

Existing valves are all taco 3 wire. 

Thank you again for your help. 

Comments

• offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    The zone control panel dosnt care what manufacture the valve is. Try the Taco Sentry line of zone valves. I have installed them for customers and have had no issues over the years. I'm just not a fan of the valve you listed. Erie pop top valves are ok or check out Calieffi valves too
    gator
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,443
    edited January 20
    Options
    The Honeywell V8043F1036 is not a full port ZV. Taco Sentry is a better choice and a higher CV, but a little more noisy opening and closing.
    gator
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,162
    Options
    Any of of the paddle type, spring return zone valves
    HW, Schneider, Caleffi will be 7.5 to 8 cv which should be plenty of capacity for any 3/4 or 1” zones.

Caleffi  has union connections bodies available so press, sweat, pex, or threaded connections or a mix of those options
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gator
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Any of of the paddle type, spring return zone valves
    HW, Schneider, Caleffi will be 7.5 to 8 cv which should be plenty of capacity for any 3/4 or 1” zones.

Caleffi  has union connections bodies available so press, sweat, pex, or threaded connections or a mix of those options
    I like caleffi products. I’m just wanting make sure they work the same cause these tacos work by heating grease and then opening - when the call stops power drops letting the grease cool and the valve closes if I’m right about all that - do the calefi valves close when power drops or do they need to be powered both directions? 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,162
    Options
    Caleffi z-one are power open spring return.

We also  have the low power thermal type, if you want a completely silent ZV
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    gator
  • gator
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Caleffi z-one are power open spring return.

We also  have the low power thermal type, if you want a completely silent ZV
    Perfect