Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Transformer install for Argo IR882

Options
I have an Argo ARM -6P with 5 nest thermostats. At least one of the relays is very noisy. Argo recommends purchasing an isolation panel (IR882) for power robbing thermostats like the nest. 

The isolation panel requires a separate transformer and I had a few questions. 

The transformer that I bought (and seemingly all 24VAC transformers) says that the black wire on the 110V side is common and white is hot. Do I match up black on the transformer with my neutral on 110 (and white on transformer to black/hot on my electric)? Does it not matter because it’s an AC transformer? 

On the 24VAC side, does it matter which wire goes to what? 

Finally, does anyone have suggestions on an enclosure for the IR882? 

Thank you in advance 

Comments

• yanks10123
    yanks10123 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Just to close the loop here, I bought a transformer and wired white wire from 110v side of transformer (which is hot) to black on my 110v AC supply; and wired black wire from 110v side of transformer (neutral) to white on my 110v AC supply. Everything worked as expected. The IR882 is expensive for what it is, but is pretty elegant
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,386
    Options
    Hello @yanks10123,
    Glad it all worked out. Not sure what country you are in, in the United States for example, typical 120 VAC wiring the Black wire is Hot and the White is the Neutral.

If the connected device has a Black wire and a White wire, usually the connections are Black to Black and White to White.

Some transformers just have two Black wires on the primary side.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System