Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone know what this is above the boiler flue?

chicop9
chicop9 Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone, this is a Thatcher boiler. I think it is a Thatcher red king oil boiler that was converted to gas. The house was built in 1940 and the model number on the boiler says 056. I have been trying to purchase a manual or book to help me learn more about the boiler but no luck since the company closed in 1968. We purchased the house in 1988. I need to learn how to do a treatment flush, because my Dad used to do it and I used to help him sometimes but now I forgot how to do it. I just remember it was not that difficult, but I have brainfog from grief. He passed away recently. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    I believe that is/ was a tankless coil.
    STEVEusaPAchicop9reggi
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 955
    edited January 17
    I had one of those on a boiler from 1947. I think it's a predecessor to the tankless coil, because there was not nearly enough heating surface on the coil to heat water on demand and it was attached to a separate storage tank. Water circulated between the two by gravity. It's a built-in version of the old-fashioned side arm water heaters that were used with storage tanks. 

@op:  You can safely ignore that part, it's been disconnected. You must have a separate domestic water heater.

Bburd
    chicop9
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,015
    @bburd

They called them "Tank Heaters" just like a tankless but smaller because the DHW was stored in a tank just like you said. Good way to plug a chimney opening when you don't have anything I guess.
    bburdchicop9
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,014
    Side Shot taps.