Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High delta-T on one baseboard zone

Steve Garson_2
Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
I have a six zone hydronic baseboard system. Most zones have just 8 to 16 feet of baseboard. My first floor has around 50-feet of baseboard. The boiler is a WM GV-4 Series 1. The system works fine, except when we have the frigid weather right now at design temp.

When all the zones are running, the first floor has a 60* delta-t, so it is hot in the start of the zone and barely warm at the end. My understanding is that there is likely not enough head to move the water fast enough. With that in mind, I was thinking of installing a Taco 007 and switching relay specifically on this one zone. The boiler, itself, has an 007 for the entire system.

Am I on the right track with the solution?

Steve
Denver, CO
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    You may be correct. Water will take the path of least resistance. To test your theory close all the other zones and see if the Taco 007 will pump the water faster thru the problem zone. If you get a 20°∆T or less with only the large zone open, then you know that using a 007 for that zone will solve the problem.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Thanks, Ed. That is the case. I appreciate your input!
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    Any valves on the short loops do you can balance them down?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream