Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Pressure from Buried outside tank. Regulator Issues??

dreed90
dreed90 Member Posts: 2
edited January 16 in THE MAIN WALL
I just recently starting having real issues with the propane at my house in the mountains in CO. Not enough pressure to run the water heater, stove, furnace etc.

Tank is at 60%, and cold temperatures have never been an issue before, but it's the only thing that has been different the past 4 days or so. Is there something I can or should do to help get this fixed beyond just calling a tech to come out and investigate for me?

Also - I feel like the open ended cylinder is supposed to have a cap on it, but it was nowhere to be found when I checked it out last night.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    The open ended valve is a pressure relief valve, it should be uncovered.
    Is there a second regulator at the house? If so make sure it isn’t buried in snow or frozen over.
    Do you own the tank or the LP company? The LP suppliers generally maintain the regulators if it is a leased tank.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Check the vents on the regulators for ice/snow blockage. If the regulators can't breathe they can't work. Call the propane company and have them check the regs. Could be frozen/sticking. I would put a tin can loosely over the relief valve until you find the cover for the tank

Have them fill the tank. The less gas in the tank the slower the vaporization.

Downstream of the house regulator you should have 12-14"wc if you have something to measure gas pressure with.
  • dreed90
    dreed90 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. AFAIK there isn't a second regulator. It's difficult to see if there's blockage in the vents, as it is pointing downward. But, it doesn't *feel* like there's any amount of ice or moisture.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,703
    At this point you need to get an accurate gauge on the reg and test it with all the appliances running.

Any idea how many btu all the appliances add up to. Seems like a small line for a single stage reg system. Or is it just for the boiler?

I’d certainly keep the tank access covered.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream